LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 vancleef.alex
|
So I have been using an app called Varsity Tutor to supplement the PowerScore book. I came across a question today and I think they may have a wrong answer, but I want to check with people who may be smarter than I.

Here is the scenario:

A library is holding a special five-day event honoring successful local writers. One writer will be invited to be a guest speaker for each night from Monday through Friday, and no writer will be asked to participate twice. The writers have each written books in only one of four different genres - science fiction, mystery, historical fiction, and non-fiction. A, J, and X are all science fictions writers. B and Y are both mystery writers. C and Z are both historical fiction writers. L is a non-fiction writer. The following conditions apply without exception:
At least one writer from each genre will be invited to speak on at least one night.
No two authors from the same genre will be invited to speak on the following night.
If C is invited to speak, then X is invited to speak on the following night.
If Y is invited to speak, then neither C nor A are invited to speak.
If X and J are both invited to speak, then neither will speak on the first or last night.
If L and B are both invited to speak, then neither will speak on either the first or last night.
The question is: "Which two writers cannot BOTH be invited to speak?"

The answer is A & Z, so then any other question where A & Z are in the answer, wouldn't that answer be false? From my understanding, this should be a global question that would apply to all other questions as it is not conditional. Am I mistaken in my understanding of global questions?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the question! I really don't like commenting on questions created by other companies, mainly because I don't trust them and also because I'm only seeing part of the picture here. That said, if you have a questions that asks, "Which two writers cannot BOTH be invited to speak?" (which, not to be overly picky, should really be worded slightly differently to conform to LSAT language usage patterns), then the answer is a Global Must indicating that the pair in question (which you state is A and Z; I didn't do this problem so I can't say) cannot both appear in any correct solution to the game. Hence, unless the other question changes the conditions, then A and Z can't appear together in a viable solution. If all of the above is the case, then there's a problem here.

Well damn, now I'm interested in what the issue is, so let's take a look :-D

Looking at it, I don't see why A and Z can't be part of a viable solution. Here's one solution that works (well, really two since J and X are interchangeable in the middle):

..... A—B—J/X—L—Z

Let's look at the rules:
  • At least one writer from each genre will be invited to speak on at least one night.
    • Check: This is covered by A, B, Z, and L
    No two authors from the same genre will be invited to speak on the following night.
    • Check: A and either J or X is separated by a day. Note also this is why I hate badly simulated games—the wording used here is totally non-conforming to the LSAT and is technically unclear.
    If C is invited to speak, then X is invited to speak on the following night.
    • Check: C isn't selected, so we are good.
    If Y is invited to speak, then neither C nor A are invited to speak.
    • Check: Y isn't selected so again we are good.
    If X and J are both invited to speak, then neither will speak on the first or last night.
    • Check: You only have one of them in the hypothetical above, so we are good. Note again the slight non-conforming language; LSAC would typically write the variables in alphabetical order. Little details like this is what sets real games apart.
    If L and B are both invited to speak, then neither will speak on either the first or last night.
    • Check: Both B and L are invited to speak, but in our hypothetical neither is first/last.
So, there you have it: the answer to your initial Global question is incorrect (again, assuming the info you provided is complete and accurate). I mean no offense whatsoever to the company in question, but are you using the app because it's simply available, or because you think they can teach you something about the LSAT you can't get elsewhere? Because I've been doing this for years and pride myself on knowing the players in the space, but I've never heard of them as far as LSAT, and this game they supposedly made doesn't exactly reassure me.

Thanks!
 vancleef.alex
|
That's what I was thinking too. I liked having the app for convenience so I could study when I was out and about, but I am now afraid that they may not be as reliable as I thought. Thank you for your assistance :)
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
vancleef.alex wrote:That's what I was thinking too. I liked having the app for convenience so I could study when I was out and about, but I am now afraid that they may not be as reliable as I thought. Thank you for your assistance :)
Glad I could help!

You should leave a review for the app—others should know!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.