to the top

December 2nd, 2017 LSAT Information and Discussion

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

ndsmith95 wrote:Hi this is my first time posting on this site, but I was wondering if anyone had a LR section with 27 questions. The layout for my test was LR RC LR LR and then logic games. I specifically remember that my last LR had 27 questions and I have never heard of this many questions being assigned to LR. I can confirm that you guys have correctly found the real RC and Logic games sections. Please let me know if anyone has heard of this or had this section themselves.
Best,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I neither have heard of an LR with 27 this time around, or ever, to be honest. It would be wholly unprecedented in the 25+ years of the modern format, and I would imagine that it's appearance would have caused a minor tempest. So, I'm thinking you may have misread perhaps?

Thanks!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
ndsmith95
LSAT Novice

Thank you for the reply. A friend of mine also took the test and had a LR section with 27 questions. I did a double take myself when I saw this.
alland44
LSAT Novice

Hello,

My first section had the mayor race as question #1 and I believe a question near the end about canoes. Was this section definitely real?
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

alland44 wrote:Hello,

My first section had the mayor race as question #1 and I believe a question near the end about canoes. Was this section definitely real?

Hi A,

Yes, it was. This has been confirmed multiple times by test takers with only 2 LR sections.

I hope that is good news!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
Offcolorred
LSAT Novice

Can also confirm the LG section with apartments is real, and the RC section has correctly been identified also....wondering if anyone remembers how many questions the Apartment game was?
Tony_Stark
LSAT Apprentice

Does anyone know if the question about 6PM/ 7PM was real or experimental?

Thanks in advance
Strongam
LSAT Apprentice

The 6pm/7pm question was real.

I just got the results of my December test today. I had some questions about it, especially about one of the games. When will you guys be able to see and answer questions about it?
The third game about train stations labeled the "in" group as stations who would be closing and the "out" group as those who would stay open. The switch of the negative and positive diagramming really screwed up my thinking/placement process and I was wondering if switching the setup would have been better.
Thanks guys!
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hey there strongam! I just got my first cursory glance at that game, and it certainly seems designed to cause some counter-intuitive mental conflict, especially with the conditional rules about stations staying open rather than being about closing. My first impression is that it would be best to have the "in" group be the stations selected for closing, primarily due to the numeric rule that at least one must close. However, the effect of the first rule is to ensure that there is also at least one that stays open, so I might choose to do it as a two-group game with subscripts for "O" and "C" rather than as an in/out game. Maybe. I think there's no wrong answer here, as long as the approach you choose makes sense to you and flows smoothly! I expect I'll play with it both ways soon (when I need a break from the family this weekend!) and will share more thoughts after I've had that time to digest it. Watch this forum soon for our official explanation, too.

So how did it go overall? We're rooting for you!
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam
Strongam
LSAT Apprentice

Thanks for getting back so quick Adam! I am currently hiding from in-laws and I understand how a break from the family can be needed! :)
Overall I got a 149. Not the score I need to get into BYU or the U of U but I have some time to work on it. This test was the first time I didn't have a feeling afterwards indicating how I did. On each of my practice tests before I had felt good about it and done bad, or felt bad about it and done well. It felt like there were a lot more Point of Disagreement questions than usual in the LR sections which I enjoyed because they are one of my strengths. Reviewing the test I found a number of LR questions I got wrong and still cannot figure out why. During my months of study I started at 148 on my first PT and it fluctuated from 141 to 149. I was completing about 75% of the test with 85% accuracy. Then the third week before the test I began testing untimed (with my ADHD the timing element is obviously a struggle) and got up between 165 to 167. These were the first opportunities I had to go through and answer each question on the test. It helped me realize which questions I struggled with and which ones were my strengths. Then the final week before the test I took a timed practice test each day and got between 156 and 159 (with one 151).
That leaves me wondering what the right course of action is for studying to do a retake. I need to jump up to about a 160 for my goal schools. I have read a large amount of the material on these forums and so I recognize my 3.9 GPA is basically worthless without the 160. If my score had come out at the mid-150 range I would have signed up to take the test again in February. But because of the 149, I don't have confidence that it will be enough time. (Currently trying to figure out best way to move forward from this point if it isn't already apparent haha.) So the past few days I have been searching for forum discussions of people in the same boat/score range as me and seeing what advice they have been given on studying for the retake. I would love to take the online classes and meet with powerscore tutors but can't afford to.

Sorry for the long answer to your question but I thought it might be helpful to provide some context to how it went for me overall. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and has a great New Year!