to the top

December 2nd, 2017 LSAT Information and Discussion

ablackj19902
LSAT Novice

Jon Denning wrote:As Saturday's LSAT concludes, test takers throughout the US and Canada naturally wonder what to make of their experience, and are eager to hear more about the experiences of others. To aid in that, this thread allows you to provide information and feedback about the December LSAT, and will serve as a one-stop repository for all of the details that PowerScore is able to collect on the test.

Below, let us know more about your test, including questions and topics that you remember, section order, and overall impressions (difficulty, uniqueness/familiarity, odd elements, etc). With that information, we will begin outlining which LG/RC/LR questions were real and which were known to be experimental (for more information on determining the Experimental section, please read: The Experimental Section Explained).

This data can then help you better predict your own scoring outcomes, and determine whether to keep or cancel your score (although these days you rarely should cancel since only your highest score matters). For more assistance on making that decision, please visit: The Ultimate LSAT Scoring Guide: Should You Keep or Cancel?

Per LSAC policies, you are allowed to discuss LSAT question topics and difficulty in general. For example, this means you can identify a game by name and discuss whether you thought it was difficult. You cannot talk about specific answer choices, however. So, "The Water Tubes game was difficult for me" is fine; "the answer to the first three questions was A in that game" is not acceptable.

Note: The list below will be updated in real time as we learn more about the exam, and thus is neither official nor complete while the discussion is ongoing. If you are considering cancelling based on the details provided here, give this thread a day or two so that we can make sure all of the information is accurate.

Scored Sections

Real Logic Games (should be in order)

1. Asia Cruise Ship Trip to Cities (Jakarta, Hanoi, Manila, Osaka, Shanghai, Tokyo...)
      2. Musical Performances
      3. Train/Metro stations: open and closed stops
      4. 8 Apartment Building Floors Cleaned for Air Quality

Real Reading Comprehension (should be in order)

1. Chinese Americans/Language Dialects in San Francisco
      2. Parallel Universes (Multiverse)
      3. IP Law (comics/chefs) — Comparative Reading
      4. Social Darwinism (Theorists)

Real Logical Reasoning

Tilapia (first question of a real section)
      Mayoral race (first question of a real section)
      Alzheimer's disease/Indian spice (turmeric)
      T. Rex
      Firemen putting out forest fires
      Greek reading oracle's tablet
      Nuclear fusion of atoms creating heat
      Raising prices by a quarter (25 cents)
      Herniated disk
      Caligula
      Sensing Tornados
      Dolphin habitat
      Car prices
      Ted/Tatiana (supervisor and employee pay/replacement)
      Two towns with different temps and utility bills
      Black and white strip camouflage (pandas/zebras?)
      Herbal medicines becoming harmful
      Poems and paraphrasing
      Prehistoric humans with spears/tools
      500 years ago people making birch bark canoes with tools (could be same as above)

Experimental Sections

Experimental Logic Games

Fruit Stand (mangos, etc)
      Secretary/President/Treasurer (people in position on boards?)
      Room remodeling in a house
      Archaeology (order of cities being abandoned)
      Rumors/Leakers (people telling top secret information)
      Voting/Zoning Committees
      Movies (shown over a week)
      Group of lawyers for a client
      Robots

Experimental Reading Comprehension

Emmy Noether (passage listed by some as "Einstein's Girlfriend")
      Naturalistic Protest Fiction
      Mayan Civilization
      Ice Cores

Experimental Logical Reasoning

Telomeres and aging (greying hair)
      Mosquitoes and leaves
      More rain (humidity) causing drought and cooler days
      Whistleblower
      Crazed glass
      Eating more fruit
      "Dodgers" (people dodging questions)
      Birds faking injuries
      TMAO and supplements (meat eaters vs vegetarians)

Uncertain

Section orders and question counts

LR RC LR LR LG
      RC LR LG RC LR

LG: 23 questions
      LR1: 25 questions
      LR2: 26 questions
      RC: 27 questions
      Total: 101 questions

Accommodated LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15994

International LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15995

Hi!

I had LR, RC, LR, LR, LG and I just wanted to help by saying that the
    "Prehistoric humans with spears/tools
    500 years ago people making birch bark canoes with tools (could be same as above)"
    is definitely two different questions and I believe from two different sections. Hope this helps!
    raymond2
    LSAT Novice

norfanedes96 wrote:Hi Dave,

My test booklet had the following layout:

Section 1: LR, 25 questions
    Section 2: RC, 27 questions
    Section 3: LR, 26 questions
    Section 4: LR, 26 questions
    Section 5: AR, 23 questions

I had the same order as you. In your opinion, which LR do you believe was the experimental? I found section 4 to be the hardest LR in my opinion. Thanks.
    Jon Denning
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

Hi lijunwei - in response to your question:

lijunwei wrote:Question about today's test. I completed 20 questions in each section, and guessed the remaining questions, then I apparently filled the bubbles from 21 all the way to 30 for all 4 sections, although there are only about 25 or 27 questions for each section. Does anybody know if this is going to have a negative impact on the score?

No, that won't have any effect! The scantron reader simply checks the marks you've made and compares them to the marks that should be there. So any made beyond the end of the section won't have a point of comparison and will be ignored. Best of luck!
    Jon Denning
    PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
    lijunwei
    LSAT Novice

Thank u Jon.
    mban
    LSAT Novice

I had 3 LR sections - my structure was LR RC LR LR LG... the second LR (really difficult) had two Main Point questions, and the third LR had a "must be false" question - does anyone know which one was real or not?
    ndsmith95
    LSAT Novice

norfanedes96 wrote:Hi Dave,

My test booklet had the following layout:

Section 1: LR, 25 questions
    Section 2: RC, 27 questions
    Section 3: LR, 26 questions
    Section 4: LR, 26 questions
    Section 5: AR, 23 questions

Hi this is my first time posting on this site, but I was wondering if anyone had a LR section with 27 questions. The layout for my test was LR RC LR LR and then logic games. I specifically remember that my last LR had 27 questions and I have never heard of this many questions being assigned to LR. I can confirm that you guys have correctly found the real RC and Logic games sections. Please let me know if anyone has heard of this or had this section themselves.
    Best,
    Nick
    Gobbluth
    LSAT Novice

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to have the same type of experimental section but different orders.

I had two LGs, one right before the break and one right after. If I remember correctly, I had rosemary-sage-thyme and the leak/secrets games in the first of the two, and the apartment WTFS game in my second LG section.

However, others with two LG sections are confident that they had the apartment game first and an experimental LG section second. I'm not sure if we had the same experimental LG section because I don't recall fruits and zoning committees.

Am I misremembering, or is it possible that people with the same order (RC LR LG LG LR) had experimental LG and real LG in different orders?
    ndsmith95
    LSAT Novice

Gobbluth wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to have the same type of experimental section but different orders.

I had two LGs, one right before the break and one right after. If I remember correctly, I had rosemary-sage-thyme and the leak/secrets games in the first of the two, and the apartment WTFS game in my second LG section.

However, others with two LG sections are confident that they had the apartment game first and an experimental LG section second. I'm not sure if we had the same experimental LG section because I don't recall fruits and zoning committees.

Am I misremembering, or is it possible that people with the same order (RC LR LG LG LR) had experimental LG and real LG in different orders?
    Gobbluth wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to have the same type of experimental section but different orders.

Since every test is different the order does not matter. The one with the apartments was the real LG section.
    Gobbluth
    LSAT Novice

ndsmith95 wrote:

Since every test is different the order does not matter. The one with the apartments was the real LG section.

Are you sure? Even for people with the same overall order (RC-LR-LG-LG-LR), their LGs may be in different orders?
    ndsmith95
    LSAT Novice

Gobbluth wrote:
    ndsmith95 wrote:

Are you sure? Even for people with the same overall order (RC-LR-LG-LG-LR), their LGs may be in different orders?

I can not certainly say that the orders of those people vary. But I only had one RC section and it is the same that is already confirmed. Same for logic games, the one with the apartments is the real one.