LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 mjb514
|
Hello,

I am having a hard time deciphering between the stem associated with must be true/most strongly supported and strengthen. On page 109 of the Logical Reasoning bible (2017 edition) it states the stems that follow a most strongly supported question: "The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following? and "Which one of the following statements is most supported by the information above?" However, on page 300 of the same book it state the stems that follow strengthen questions. This includes, "Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the statement above." As you can see, these stems are very similar. Thus I'm having a hard time understanding which stem belongs to each question type.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi MJB,

This is a good question, and a great example of how closely the LSAT requires you to read. At the core, the issue comes down to which part they tell you to accept as true and consequently which direction the information flows. So, let's look at that more closely!

I'll post some examples here with comments, and italicize the key words in each, to make the comparison easier:

• Most Strongly Supported

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?” — You use the information above (in the stimulus) to support one of the answers below.

“Which one of the following statements is most supported by the information above?” — The information above is used to again support one of the answers below.

“The statements provide the most support for which one of the following?” — the stimulus is used to support and answer below.
In each instance the route the information follows is the same: the stimulus is taken as true, and then you use that information to help prove one of the answers below.

Now, compare that situation above to the way Strengthen works, where the information travels form the answers up to the stimulus:

• Strengthen

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?” — You now take the answers as true, and find one of them to help the stimulus (which is above).

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the statement above?” — Each of the next three are identical: take the answers as true and then use them to support the statements above (in the stimulus).

Which one of the following, if true, does most to justify the conclusion above?”

Which one of the following, if valid, most clearly helps to strengthen the argument above?”

When you get a chance, go back to pages 73-76 and read through those pages again. They outline the conceptual basis for what's happening here, and how to more easily identify what type of question you are looking at.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mjb514
|
Thank you for the reply, however I still cannot understand how to point out the differences. You mentioned the must be true stem “Which one of the following statements is most supported by the information above?”And you stated, "The information above is used to again support one of the answers below. " However then you mentioned the strengthen stem,“Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the statement above?” and you stated. "Each of the next three are identical: take the answers as true and then use them to support the statements above (in the stimulus).

How do I decipher between the two when they both mention using the information above. They basically say the same exact thing. I have no idea how to tell if its a strengthen or must be true. Is there anyway outside of using the stems to tell?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi MJB,

The key is that they don't say the same thing! Look very carefully at the stems for each, and what I italicized. There are differences there, especially with language about above or below. Yes, they are very similar, but they aren't identical. They expect you to see these differences and understand them, so it's good to get it down right now.

1. Go back to the LRB pages I refer to—pages 73-76—and re-read. Look carefully at how the information flows in First Family vs Second Family.

2. Come back here and examine the italicized portions. Most Strongly Supported/Must questions tell you to accept what's on the top (the stimulus) and use that to prove an answer (arrow goes from stimulus down to answers). Strengthen questions tell you to take the answers as true, and use them to help the stimulus (arrow goes from answers up to the stimulus).

So, read these very carefully because the two types have distinctive differences, which I lay out in detail in the LRB, as well as above.

Thanks!
 LSAT2018
|
Nice, thank you! :)
 mjb514
|
I understand now, thank you so much!
 lanereuden
|
I don’t have the book, so I am wondering:
What’s diff between inferrence stimulus and which one of following is most strongly supported by statements above stimulus?
Is it just the degree of certainty. Like inferrence is 99% and the other one could be 51%—that is, since it’s better than the others, it’s still right.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lane,

One is supposed to be certain (inference) whereas the other is almost certain (MSS). You would not see MSS at 51% typically; it's going to be near certain, not that far away.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.