LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Below is a conversation between a student and PowerScore CEO Dave Killoran, regarding an admissions question.

Student: "Hi! I am making myself go crazy reading article after article, and testing statistic after statistic, regarding my odds of getting into UT Austin. So, I figured I'd see if the experts could give me any insight. It would be GREATLY appreciated. So, I read your article regarding Reverse-Splitter friendly schools and saw that UT is not reverse-splitter friendly. Unfortunately, I am a reverse splitter. Here is my ‘profile’:

LSAT - 162
GPA - 3.86
Major: Philosophy
Resident: Texas
Undergraduate school: Western Washington University
Application type: Binding Early Decision

I also have a unique history, I took 2 years off of school to travel (Australia, Honduras, Mexico, Indonesia) working as a scuba dive instructor. Upon returning I took 102 credits over 5 quarters, and so I am graduating only 6 months after my original graduation date prior to being abroad (I am 22 years old). I am graduating with a 4.0, but that balanced out with a 3.63/3.84 from other institutions, hence the 3.86 cumulative. I have extensive full-time, part-time, and volunteer work experience from all over the world. I also submitted an addendum showing that I have a history of low scores on standardized tests, and how these scores have never been an accurate predictor of my success at schools (in boarding school and then also in college).

I know it’s a long shot and a huge reach for me. I would love to hear your thoughts on my situation. Thank you in advance for your time."

Dave Killoran: "Thanks for the message! The reality is that much of law school admissions comes down to numbers, and at a school like UT, your numbers give you a chance, but it’s not overwhelming. I’d say you are probably looking at a 25-35% chance of getting in. The ED effect at UT is minimal according to the data (see : https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/applyi ... -not-to-ed), and so it will likely come down to how they see your background, and what you have said about yourself. Obviously, we can’t directly judge that here, but with strong softs the good news is that you have a 1 in 3 chance, and that means it’s not out of reach for you. Good luck!"

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.