LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

edgarcarrero
|
On page 211, #3 in the answer key does the order of "(WG and AFC)->RS" matter? I have it inverted.

Similarly, on page 213 #7 does the order of "(SB or PM) -> FC" matter? I diagrammed it as "FC -> (SB or FM)".

Thanks for your help!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
edgarcarrero wrote:On page 211, #3 in the answer key does the order of "(WG and AFC)->RS" matter? I have it inverted.

Similarly, on page 213 #7 does the order of "(SB or PM) -> FC" matter? I diagrammed it as "FC -> (SB or FM)".

Thanks for your help!
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the question! Yes, it does matter quite a bit, and it's critical to get comfortable with which is sufficient, and which is necessary.

• In #3, the key term is "if," which introduces a sufficient condition. Thus, WG and AFC need to be shown as sufficient, at the "front" of the arrow.

In #7, the key term is again "if," which although it appears in the middle of the sentence introduces a sufficient condition. Thus, SB and PM need to be shown as sufficient.
While you are learning these ideas, focus on conditional indicators in each sentence—they are like traffic signs that can help you move more quickly and confidently. For further discussions of conditional reasoning, including an analysis of intuition vs technical knowledge, I'm going to refer you to a variety of resources here that you may find helpful:

This is just a small selection of the items we've published on this topic, so I encourage you to go beyond these and explore even more. I frequently write about conditional reasoning since it's so prevalent on the LSAT, so if you search my posts you can find me talking about it quite a bit.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.