to the top

October 14th, 2017 Make-Up LSAT Discussion

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

An official make-up LSAT is scheduled to take place on October 14th, 2017 at select locations throughout North America.

If you are a participant in this make-up test, let us know about your experience below! You can also check this main post for more information, as we'll update it throughout the next several days as we learn more about the test and its content.

A few important notes:

Per LSAC policies, you are allowed to discuss LSAT question topics and difficulty in general. For example, this means you can identify a game by name and discuss whether you thought it was difficult. You cannot talk about specific answer choices or strategies, however. So, "The Water Tubes game was difficult for me" is fine; "the answer to the first three questions was A in that game" is not acceptable.

Also, there is only one test form expected to be used for all test takers, meaning there is no way to know which section was experimental. We'll be able to determine the section type, but if this truly is a single, previously-nondisclosed test as LSAC has promised then the section number itself won't be known.

Finally, this IS an official test, meaning you will receive a score and a percentile that will be on your record for schools to see. Because it's nondisclosed you won't get a copy of the test or your answer sheet, however. I suspect we'll see a rush to score these, so while nothing has been announced that I'm aware of, expect results in under three weeks (i.e. early November at the latest is my guess).

Let us know how it went, and best of luck to everyone participating!

**NOTE: This make-up exam used the official forms from the February 2013 LSAT. Information below.**

Scored Sections

Real Logic Games (not necessarily in order)

1 = Security Clearance = Badges (managers/recent hires)
      2/3 = Romance novels / Literature / Book Purchases
      3/2 = Parade Float order
      4 = Semester Courses / Academic Classes

Real Reading Comprehension (not necessarily in order)

1 = Formalism
      2/3 = Jazz- Bebop
      3/2 = Paranormal (Comparative Reading—Passage A says science is irrelevant to proving the paranormal)
      4 = science = environmental: polysacrylate or polyaspartate chemical proteins (awful section about environmental industrial cleaning?) / fertilizer / crab shells? polysacrylate/polyaspartate

Real Logical Reasoning

Spotted Bears and the fish they eat (all bears in region X are spotted bear. Most spotted bears eat fish…)
      Kesha as speaker
      Scripts and agents submitting them
      Promises (guy mishears question but gives answer)
      Voting referendum
      Removing party leaders
      Chlorinated water preventing some diseases (cancer)
      Library renovation
      typhus
      Govt funding of schools
      Maternity leave
      Sticky/the stickiest
      Clay soil
      glee club
      Nuclear activist
      decaffeinated coffee
      airline crew
      fertilizer
      iron superconductors
      X and Y cities and populations in hospitals
      Hikers
      methane and volcanos
      gardening supplies
      power lines and electromagnetic field
      someone's dad's liver, with supporting evidence saying that his grandpa did something for 95 percent of his life
      flaw question about insects

Writing Sample(s)

Rowboats vs Canoes (family choosing: safety issues, canoes lighter)
      Choosing between two PhD programs

Experimental Sections

Experimental Logic Games

Computer virus (appeared as real in Sept 2016)
      Rural and urban (may have been a real game in June 2017)

Experimental Reading Comprehension

Memes
      Fish
      Victorian Photography (may have been a real passage on Sept 2014)
      Darwinism (may have been a real passage on Sept 2014)

Experimental Logical Reasoning

short/ child knights
      Bronze age animals
      Dingos
      Tigers/cheetahs
      high school kids and mandatory driving program

Uncertain

Section orders and question counts

LG: 23 questions
      LR1: 25 questions
      LR2: 26 questions
      RC: 27 questions
      Total: 101 questions

Jon Denning
    PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
    Gunnar
    LSAT Novice

I took the retake today at Savannah State. Not going to cry over spilt milk after they lost our scores.

Everything above seems accurate as far as questions per section. The order was RC-LR-LG-LG-LR. To be clear, the experimental section would be the second of the two LG based on what Mr. Denning has said. I BELIEVE that the true/first one featured security clearances as the first game.

Can anyone confirm that entire sections are experimental and not mixed/matched among the eight games present? For personal reasons I’m hoping that this is all true and that the whole first LG is the real one.

Lastly, I’ve heard that scores are due out on 4 NOV. Good luck everyone!
    Jon Denning
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

Hi Gunnar - congrats on being done, and welcome to the Forum! Condolences too to you and your fellow students at Savannah State; that's a tough blow to be dealt but you've got the absolute right attitude about it :)

As for the experimental section, yes, it's an entire section all on its own. And the four real sections are the same for everyone: the 100 or so questions that count are identical for every test taker. So, for instance, if you can recall that the security clearance game was in your first section of games, then that whole section would be real.

Similarly, if you could recall that in your second set of games there was a game about a computer virus that infected a series of six computers, then you'd know that whole section was experimental and can be ignored.

Interestingly, that computer virus game has since (post-Feb 2013) appeared on a real test, the September 2016 exam. We discuss it here, so this may help jog your memory a bit: viewforum.php?f=1199

Thanks for the info on the score release (hadn't heard a date mentioned previously)—I suspect you'll get the results a day or two earlier, as is typical!

Thanks again and best of luck!
    Jon Denning

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
    Gunnar
    LSAT Novice

Thanks for the reply! When you listed the real logic games, the numbers assigned next to them (1, 2/3, 3/2, 4), are those numbers reflecting the order in which they were presented in that section of the test? I am just trying to be sure that I am remembering correctly. I know for certain that a security clearance question was in there, and I believe that it was in the first LG section given to us. If anyone can confirm that the 1-4 numbers are accurate then I’d feel much more confident. Thanks again!
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

Gunnar wrote:Thanks for the reply! When you listed the real logic games, the numbers assigned next to them (1, 2/3, 3/2, 4), are those numbers reflecting the order in which they were presented in that section of the test? I am just trying to be sure that I am remembering correctly. I know for certain that a security clearance question was in there, and I believe that it was in the first LG section given to us. If anyone can confirm that the 1-4 numbers are accurate then I’d feel much more confident. Thanks again!

Right, those are the order they were given is. The problem is that we're not sure about games 2 and 3, as in which one was 2nd and which was was 3rd, hence the 2/3 designation for each. So, as much as we'd love to be able to specify the order, no student has been able to confirm it yet. If we could, we certainly would have done it already :-D

Thanks!
    Dave Killoran

Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
    PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
    WeinsteinsPlantFeed
    LSAT Novice

Gunnar wrote:I took the retake today at Savannah State. Not going to cry over spilt milk after they lost our scores.

Everything above seems accurate as far as questions per section. The order was RC-LR-LG-LG-LR. To be clear, the experimental section would be the second of the two LG based on what Mr. Denning has said. I BELIEVE that the true/first one featured security clearances as the first game.

Can anyone confirm that entire sections are experimental and not mixed/matched among the eight games present? For personal reasons I’m hoping that this is all true and that the whole first LG is the real one.

Lastly, I’ve heard that scores are due out on 4 NOV. Good luck everyone!

I guess this test was reused for Dec test in asia. Could you tell us what the curve was?
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

WeinsteinsPlantFeed wrote:I guess this test was reused for Dec test in asia. Could you tell us what the curve was?

Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no way for anyone to know since the scaling was not released. Those international tests are nondisclosed, and thus those exams are not released to anyone at that time.

So, there's no way to determine the outcomes there. Sorry, I wish I had better news!
    Dave Killoran

Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
    PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
    WeinsteinsPlantFeed
    LSAT Novice

Dave Killoran wrote:
    WeinsteinsPlantFeed wrote:I guess this test was reused for Dec test in asia. Could you tell us what the curve was?

Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no way for anyone to know since the scaling was not released. Those international tests are nondisclosed, and thus those exams are not released to anyone at that time.

So, there's no way to determine the outcomes there. Sorry, I wish I had better news!

Thanks for the reply. Knowing the curve won't change anything at this point anyway, but I really hope it's 12. The games seemed easy to me. I was acing games more often than not on the PTs, only sometimes getting up to 2 wrong, but usually used most of the time to finish. The game section that was determined to be the real one with cruise locations and apartment floors I finished with 5 min to go and was able to go back and double check everything. The LR sections seemed pretty standard compared to PTs, but the RC was a pain in the ass. The bebop questions really threw me off. It was my 2nd section so my nerves were really high after hearing "5 minutes" called for the first time in a real setting at the end of section 1. I think that contributed to me not retaining as much as usual on the RC, but the questions made me question myself if i had read it correctly or not - I was fighting the urge to go back and reread because I was trying to stay on course for time, so I think I may have missed something that would have been easy to look back for, but I'm glad I moved on because I thought the last passage about chemicals and oysters was pretty easy.

Surprisingly to me, people said the games were average to hard, but that the RC was easy. I think they must be talking about the USA test version. I'm wondering if both tests will be scored on the same scale since they were obviously different RC. Depending on how the RC went could determine a lot for me. I may have been fine and just worried or I may have done worse on it than all the practice tests.

AGain thanks for your reply. Now is just a waiting game. I have terrible undergrad grades, so I figure I needed a 172 minimum to have a chance at lower T14. That's about right in the middle of the range I think I could have done. My guess is anywhere from 168-175 (manly because RC could be anywhere from -2 to -8) so that extra pt on the curve could mean the difference between UVA and WashU