LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Sam M
|
I'm thinking about writing an addendum for my college transcript but not sure if it is warranted or would help or hurt my chances. There are 2 general things I am thinking of addressing:

1. GPA trajectory - My GPA is alright (3.63) but a little low for some of the schools I'm applying to. The overall upward trajectory over time is pretty strong (averaging 3.9-4.0 my last three semesters and in higher level classes) and I kinda want to point this out and suggest that my last semesters are more indicative of my academic abilities over all. The reason for the upward trajectory is essentially just learning how to deal with my ADD and learning good study habits that I did not have in high school.

2. transcript semester gaps - I transferred from my alma mater to another school for a semester and ended up transferring back - I essentially decided I liked the first place better. I have included both transcripts from my alma mater and the other school but I was thinking this might be confusing and the evaluator might want an explanation?

Would either of these cases warrant an addendum or would an addendum for these help or hurt my chances?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sam,

It sounds like you've got a strong application, so hopefully I can help. Addenda are only necessary when there is a large, glaring issue on your application, like a very low LSAT score relative to GPA or vice versa, or a character and fitness issue (like an arrest). Relatively minor discrepancies or upward trajectories on an already relatively strong GPA would likely do more harm than good. Does your GPA have any large dips in it, or is there a relatively smooth upward curve? And when you transferred, were your grades similar or did they differ significantly? Was the school you transferred to roughly the same tier as your alma mater? If the answer is yes to all these questions, I would counsel against writing an addendum.

Transfers are routine and shouldn't confuse an admissions officer. Your struggles with and overcoming of ADD may be worth mentioning in your personal statement, and that might be a better place to explain your growth during college.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.