LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We received the following message:
Hi Powerscore,

I am currently waiting for my Powerscore bibles to come in the mail and am about to take a timed full practice test this weekend. My plan is to follow the 2 month study plan you have available and also follow the "exhaustive prep" recommendation you discussed on the LSAT webinar. I just wanted to ask for some advice in regards to my background with the LSAT and wanted to make sure my approach to studying makes sense before I start fully immersing myself with LSAT prep.

My Background: In August 2016, I took an in person prep class with another review company for the September 2016 test. That was the very first time I really got introduced to the LSAT and I dont know why but I thought I could do it and get a really good score even if I study for a short time. I remember my diagnostic test being 143 and after less than a month and just 3 full timed practice tests I ended up with a 148 on the actual LSAT. After researching more about the LSAT and going through the forums and other free material from Powerscore, i know now that I got such a low score because 1) obviously I didn't really research enough about the test to know that it is not something I can cram and 2) the other LSAT prep company's teaching style did not match my learning style and in my opinion, they did not have the best strategy on how to approach the test (I've heard similar experiences from other people who took that prep company). I decided that I will retake the LSAT but not rush it so I originally planned for Sept. 2017 but I now pushed it to Dec. 2017. I was trying to start studying in July 2017 but unfortunately because of various circumstances, it is now the end of September and I am barely getting started on my LSAT review.. I am about to take a "diagnostic" test this weekend to see where I'm at now after a year later before I start my 2 month study plan - to see if I can still get that score of 148 after a year or if it's gone down.

My question is, if after my test and I'm still in the mid to upper 140 range, do you think I will be able to reach my goal of high 150 - low 160? My plan is to study for around 2-3 hours a day during the week (I have a full time job), take a practice test every Saturday til the December test (to reach the 8-10 practice tests recommendation from your webinar), and review for a couple of hours on Saturdays and Sundays. I just want to know if my plan seems logical and if taking a full timed practice test every week is advisable.

Sorry if my question is something that's been asked many times. I'm honestly just in panic mode right now with a bit of frustration because I know I should have started months ago. :hmm:

Please advise and let me know your thoughts!

Thanks for waiting for a reply from me! First, thanks for providing so much detailed information on what you have done previously—it's very helpful for me! Let's take a closer look at some of the items you mentioned:
  • 1. "I am about to take a "diagnostic" test this weekend to see where I'm at now after a year later before I start my 2 month study plan - to see if I can still get that score of 148 after a year or if it's gone down."

You'll probably do about the same or a bit better than that 148. that's because time off from the LSAT usually makes people better at it: see http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/243 ... your-score for more information on how that works. So, that's kind of a nice bonus to taking a long break :-D

2. "My question is, if after my test and I'm still in the mid to upper 140 range, do you think I will be able to reach my goal of high 150 - low 160? My plan is to study for around 2-3 hours a day during the week (I have a full time job), take a practice test every Saturday til the December test (to reach the 8-10 practice tests recommendation from your webinar), and review for a couple of hours on Saturdays and Sundays. I just want to know if my plan seems logical and if taking a full timed practice test every week is advisable."

There are two elements to my answer, and the first is whether this kind of increase is possible. The good news is Yes, there's no doubt at all it is possible. I've seen similar increases from students in the same score range over the same time period as what you have right now. So, it can be done!

The second element is more personal, and that is whether it is likely to happen. That depends a lot on the individual. I like your basic study plan as you described it (and I'm going to add some links below that should help you as you take tests, review them, etc.) and the amount of time you are planning to spend each day and weekend. Those aspects look good to me. What I can't see is you as an LSAT student; I can't see your individuals strengths and weaknesses, how you perform in each section, how fast you absorb the materials, how fast you read, and so on. Those are the things that help tell me whether it's likely that you'll make a big jump or not. I say that so you think about these things as well as you study, and so that you get a sense of the types of information that is most helpful when we are making assessments (see http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/need-ls ... s-help-you) and that are most relevant to increasing your score.

You definitely are in a position where it is possible to make that score jump, but a lot of it will depend on the day to day progress you see. That means at the moment, you shouldn't even really think about it. Just get started, and then worry about that later, once you are fully underway and have started making progress. Does that make sense?

3. "I'm honestly just in panic mode right now with a bit of frustration because I know I should have started months ago."

The first thing to do is take a step back and take a deep breath. What's happened before is over with, and what you now want to do is focus on what it takes to go forward. What can you do today to help put yourself in a better place to score well on this test? What can you do tomorrow? Focus on those things, and take that frustration and turn it into energy that you use to propel you forward. I am a master procrastinator, so I know how you are feeling :) Just put that aside and don't waste any more energy on it. Focus on the LSAT now, not the past!

These might be helpful to you as well:

Best Plan Moving forward to the December LSAT — My response to a student with similar concerns for taking December. It's good to see other people in the same position of sorts!

Prep for the December LSAT — A second response for a December test taker.

The Best Way to Review LSAT Practice Tests — I suggest using Blind Review on the LSATs you take at home!

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.