LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

avengingangel
|
why is E wrong ? it seems to be as strong as answer choice D. the only problem i could possibly find with it was MAYBE the wording of "find" (vs. "make" in the stimulus).

thanks!
 avengingangel
|
oh- nvm. the conditional relationship in E is reversed. the more appetizing part needs to be in the sufficient!!
 cmnoury1221
|
Hello,
Would answer choice B weaken the argument here? And does E reverse the conditional reasoning? In the stimulus "if it included more information..." is the sufficient and "more effective" is necessary?
In E, "only" also introduce the "more effective".. therefore, is the problem with answer choice E something else? Like the "learns"?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly right about answer E here, cmnoury1221 - it's based on a Mistaken Reversal. "If more effective, then more appealing" does not strengthen "if more appealing, then more effective." But in that answer, "only" doesn't actually attach to "more effective," because of the tricky nature of the phrase "the only." What is the only way? Making the veggies more appealing is the only way, so that is the necessary condition. "The only" sits next to the sufficient condition, but still refers to the necessary condition. That's often a stumbling block, and deserves further study!

As to answer B, I'd say it really has no impact on the argument. Remember, the argument isn't about preventing cancer, but about whether the campaign to get people to eat more veggies will be made more effective. If B is true, it could still be that the campaign will be more effective if it includes info on how to make the veggies tastier, even if the end result is that those veggies become less effective at fighting cancer. Also, B is only about "some" ways, so perhaps the campaign could just avoid those ways?
 KG!
|
Hi, I was wondering if someone could check my logic here! During my run though I chose D and in my blind review I almost decided to go with E. I still kept my answer choice as D though because in E the author saying, "learns to find the veggies appetizing," doesn't suggest that they will be getting more information on how to make them more appetizing. It's almost like telling a child they must learn to like veggies instead of giving them the tools and instruction on how to make them taste better. D, in my opinion, bridges that gap.

Was this a correct way of deciding between the two answer choices?

Thanks in advance!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
KG!,

I think that's quite good! Learn to find vs learn to make - people don't find them more appetizing and what's needed is figuring out how to MAKE them more appetizing with food preparation skills, not just pretend they are.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.