LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

bbonds675
|
I'm currently reading through the Logic Games Bible and got to the section on "Understanding Conditional Statements" on page 59-63 in the Linear Games chapter.

I'm having some difficulty in understanding how to apply the examples listed in the context of a Logic Game.

From what I've read - my understanding is that if the conditional statement is listed in the rules, then that rule is to be applied globally (to all questions on the Game). If it is listed in a local question, then it is to only be applied to that question (while understanding that the main rules for the entire game would still apply).

These type of conditional statements don't yield any "Not Laws" - they just allow for inferences to be made from either combing rules or they help with answering questions - especially when you also use the contrapositive of the conditional statement.

Am I understanding this correctly? I know this may seem elementary but I really want to make sure I'm understanding how conditional rules work in the Games.
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there!

You are correct on conditional rules applicability. If they are located in the initial rules, they are treated just like any other rule in that they apply to each and every question in the game. Local questions introduce rules that apply only to that particular question and they are no longer applicable on any other questions in the game.

Most of the time, the inferences that can be drawn from conditional rules are twofold. On the one hand, you can always determine the contrapositive of a conditional rule. This is an inference inherent in the rule itself. On the other hand, if you have multiple conditional rules, you may be able to chain some of them together and draw inferences across that chain.

While Not Laws are not generally inherent with conditional rules, they certainly can come out of them, especially in combination with other rules in the game. So, when you are looking for inferences with conditional rules, Not Laws are typically not your primary focus (unlike many other linear rules such as Blocks or Sequencing Rules where Not Laws are your primary focus). But you still want to keep your eyes open to any impossibilities established by any rules, including conditional ones.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.