LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We recently received the following question from a student:
To Whom it May Concern:

In Chapter Twelve of the Logical Reasoning Bible (on Resolve the Paradox questions), pg. 363, it says, "when you read a stimulus without a conclusion that contains a paradox, expect to see a Resolve question. If you read a fact set that does not contain a paradox, expect to see a Must Be True question or a cannot Be True question (less likely)."

Is it correct to say, then, that only Resolve the Paradox and Must Be True/Most Strongly Supported questions have facts sets? That is, every other type of question will have an argument ([premises plus a conclusion)?

I ask because I'm trying to get a mental map down. Knowing that when I see a fact set means I can focus only on two question types will help a lot.

Thank you,

Deion
An instructor will respond below. Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Deion ,

Thanks for the question! As always in the LSAT world, you can never say never :-D While your statements are generally true, exceptions do exist and that's why I didn't take it a step further and make it an ironclad relationship. For example, you might read a Fact Set, and then the question stem might supply a statement as the conclusion or hypothesis, and at that point any question type could be used. But, those are exceptions, not the rule, and it is the case that fact sets are normally followed by one of those three types.

Please let me know if this helped. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.