LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear Game: Balanced.

The diagram to this game is quite powerful since most of the spaces can be filled in.

From the game scenario, we know that there are three variable sets: the seven tracks, the seven songs, and the two types (new and rock classic). Because the seven tracks have a numerical order, they are the better choice for the base. This choice creates a linear setup with two stacks, one for the songs and one for the types (remember to leave ample vertical space between the two stacks since each row will likely have its own Not Laws):
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_1.png
Because the rules have so many consequences, let’s examine each rule:

Rule #1. This is the most straightforward rule of the game, and it can be represented by placing an “S” in fourth space of the Song row:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_2.png
Rule #2. This rule states that both W and Y precede S on the CD, and this rule can be diagrammed as:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_3.png
By itself, this rule means that W and Y cannot be tracks 5, 6, or 7 on the CD (because the first rule establishes that S is 4th)

Rule #3. This rule can be diagrammed as:
  • ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... T :longline: W
When combined with rule #2, we can create the following sequence:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_4.png
This sequence indicates that T, W, and Y must all precede S on the CD. Of course, if T, W, and Y precede S, they occupy the first three spaces, and that leaves only spaces 5, 6, and 7 for V, X, and Z:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_5.png
Thus, although all songs have not been specifically placed, we do know how they are divided on either side of S. Also, because T must precede W, we can ascertain that W cannot be first and T cannot be third.

Rule #4. This rule specifies that the sixth track is a rock classic. This information can be added directly to the diagram:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_6.png
Rule #5. This rule can be diagrammed as:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_7.png
Note that this rule only applies to rock classics. A new song does not have to be followed by a rock classic.

The appearance of this rule creates several inferences. First, because a rock classic must be preceded by a new song, the first song on the CD must be a new song (a rock classic cannot be first because then it would not be preceded by a new song). Second, because the sixth song is a rock classic, we can automatically determine that the fifth song must be a new song. Third, because the sixth song is a rock classic, the seventh song must be a new song (if the seventh song was a rock classic, then the sixth song would have to be a new song). Adding this information creates the following setup:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_8.png
Rule #6. This rule states that Z is a rock classic. When considered with the fifth rule, this rule can be diagrammed as follows:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_9.png
However, we already know from the analysis in rule #3 that Z must be the fifth, sixth, or seventh song on the CD. And, since the analysis in rule #5 indicated that, of those three tracks, only the sixth track could be a rock classic, we can determine that Z must be the sixth track on the CD. Accordingly, V and X must occupy the fifth and seventh tracks, not necessarily in that order:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_10.png
Compiling all of the information above, we arrive at the final setup for this game:
Dec 06_M12 game #3_cr_game#3_setup_diagram_11.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 sgowani
|
I am having trouble understanding Rule 5 given in the question.
I read the previous posting regarding the same question being asked, but I still don't get it
:x

The rule says:
Each rock classic is immediately preceded on the CD by new composition.

This is what I understood (RN). I understand that it can't be (NR)
I don't understand the explanation given for this rule, it's very confusing.

R------> NR :-?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi S,

Thanks for the question! Perhaps it is the word "preceded" that you are missing? Let's look at the rule again and see what it says.

"Each rock classic is immediately preceded on the CD by new composition."

Ok, so the first part is conditional: "Each rock classic..." So, every time you see a rock classic (R), we know something else is going to happen. In this case, that something else is:

"Each rock classic is immediately preceded on the CD by new composition."

So, every time we see an R, we know that N is immediately before it, which translates to NR.

Putting the two pieces together, we get R :arrow: NR, which is the diagram in the book.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 sgowani
|
OMG you are awesome!!
I was trying to understand this simple pint since 2 days lol.

Thanks so much :-D
 lawana
|
I'm having trouble understanding ONE RULE in this game and without understanding this rule, I cannot move forward with the game. PLEASE HELP!

THE RULE: "each rock classic is immediately preceded on the CD by a new composition"
to me the rule is diagram : RN
in the book this is diagram R--->NR

when it says immediately, it means the two letters together inside a box
preceded means RN (r immediately before n)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Careful there, lawana! You've mixed up "is preceded by" and "precedes". The rule here is saying that every R we put in the sequence is immediately preceded by an N, which means there is an N immediately before the R. Your interpretation would be correct if the rule was "each rock classic immediately precedes (comes right before) a new composition on the CD".

If all the Rs are immediately preceded by Ns, then every R has an N just before it. The N precedes the R; the R is preceded by the N.

Now, here's an interesting inference that could confuse some folks: this rule does also mean that almost every R must also have an N immediately after it, because if it had an R after it then that second R would not have an N immediately before it! However, there is an exception to that inference, and that is that if an R was last there would be no problem, no need for an N to follow it. But can we put an R first? No way, because every R MUST have an N right before it! So there's a key inference in this game, that an N must go first - and that inference is tested on at least two questions.

Take another look at that rule, and you'll see that our explanation does match the language of that rule. Let us know if you need further help with it!
 sayhey180
|
I'm on the same game:)

I got tripped up on #12 p 237.
When a question includes "consecutive", then gives ordinal answer choices (e.g., A and B), does this always mean ABA or BAB instead of A then B?

Also, this is my first week with this book or any LG's practice. I am finishing each game with the correct answers in no less than 11min (sometimes 15min). The Not Laws are what seem to slow me down the most. Should I shoot for 3 games and continue with the Not Laws, or seek a workaround?

Thank you, great book!!!
Last edited by Jonathan Evans on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fixed page number
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Sahey,

Great questions!

The answer to your first question is yes, but to clarify consecutive means either A then B or B then A, which is what I know you mean; I just wanted to make that explicit.

Excellent work getting good speed and accuracy!

As discussed in the book (c.f. p 38 & seq.) Not Laws™ are sometimes essential and sometimes facultative; in other words, you should experiment with doing games sometimes with more Not Laws, sometimes with fewer. Find the circumstances that dictate when they are helpful and when less so. For instance, on page 38 as noted Dave indicates that given that either H or J must be third, Not Laws for additional items there might be redundant.

In addition, sometimes given elaborate sequencing situations, the sequencing chart itself obviates the need for Not Laws somewhat, as long as you remain clear on what cannot occupy certain places or the earliest or latest some items can go.

For instance, in the game you ask about in this question, I chose to Hurdle the Uncertainty™ (p 288 & seq. in the book) on the first three slots, like this:

(T-W; Y)
— — —
1 2 3

because I find that allows me to visualize the relationship well without cluttering up my diagram.

Remember that almost every game and topic presented in the book offers multiple opportunities to learn and perfect your approach. Focus on maintaining perfect accuracy while seeking opportunities to increase your speed. Set goals for yourself to make incremental improvements, and do not be afraid to revisit subjects you've already covered. Learning opportunities abound.

Thank you for the question, and please follow up here or elsewhere on the forum with further questions!
 sayhey180
|
Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for answering both of my questions.
Perfecting my approach is a fantastic reminder since it will be me sweating the test this September!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.