LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 lathlee
|
Hello,

My question today is that I have hard time identify what kind of question Stems are they cuz they both contain the elements of both question categories according to logical reasoning bible

are they ssumption Negation or Flawed Reasoning?

1. The argument is most vulnerable to the criticism that it takes for granted that

2. The argument is flawed because it takes for granted that
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lath,

These are Flaw in the Reason questions, but they are a special type! They might provide new information and not simply describe the method of reasoning. For these questions, you could use the Assumption Negation technique, although I caution you to be careful. If you see a question stem that says: " The argument is flawed because it fails to consider..." you would not want to use the Assumption Negation technique. There you would be looking for something that weakens the argument. You might also see these mixed, the stem saying something like "The argument is flawed because" and the answer choices mix "fails to consider..." and "takes for granted that...".
 lathlee
|
hi. but Powerscore bible says it is assumption flaw question
 lathlee
|
I can even screencapture of my kindle version of LR Bible if you guys doubt my word.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please do send us that info from your copy of the LR Bible, lathlee and we'll take a look at it. Every Flaw is based on a bad assumption of some sort! These are indeed Flaw in the Reasoning stems, and they ask you to identify what unwarranted assumption the author made, so you could indeed call them "Assumption Flaws".

Assumption Negation is not a type of question, or a type of flaw. That term describes a technique that can be used to prove the correct answer to an Assumption question. In many cases you can use a variant of the Assumption Negation Technique on other questions to help better understand them, and that includes many Flaw questions, but we caution against using it all the time on questions other than Assumption questions because it can be too easily used improperly and lead you astray. Stick to using that technique on Assumption questions only, just to be safe, until you feel you have completely mastered it, and then you can experiment with what impact it might have in other instances. For example, I sometimes use it to test Strengthen or Weaken answers, because the negation of a Weaken answer often will strengthen the argument and vice versa. It's a way of expanding your understanding of the effect of the answers, but it requires careful and experienced application.

If you are confused about something in the text, DM us that text and we'll look it over for you.
 lathlee
|
Hi. I made this posting, a while ago, so it will probably take a couple days to search for what I said. once i find, i shall DM you.

Now, I see that my tone can be viewed a little aggressive to some; I said the similar thing in my last comment in lsat/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18072. I apologize again if my comments sound bit rude nor undermine Powerscore's greatness in any possible way (which BTW, it is great)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.