to the top

#12- The ancient Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten, who had a

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Please post your questions below! Thanks!
wapet1
LSAT Apprentice

I chose answer choice C, because the fierce loyalty shown to him by the guards might be the cause of Pharaoh’s tyranny? This was my initial inference after I read the stiml. and thus I chose C. Am I correct?
Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Wapet1,

Good job finding the right answer, but I'm not sure why you are assuming that Akhenaten was a tyrant. You should be careful not to apply background knowledge outside the confines of the question. You should identify the parts of the argument and then prephrase the flaw.

Identify the conclusion: Akhenaten was well loved and highly respected by his subjects.
Premise: His palace guards were fiercely loyal.

Notice the difference between the premise and the conclusion. The premise discusses how the palace guards feel, and the argument inappropriately assumes that the subjects (a much larger group than the guards) have the same feelings. This is your classic "unrepresentative sample" flaw. Answer choice C says the sample is "likely to be unrepresentative," and common sense explains why: Palace guards are likely chosen for their loyalty and trained to be loyal, moreso than the average subject.
wapet1
LSAT Apprentice

Claire Horan wrote:Hi Wapet1,

Good job finding the right answer, but I'm not sure why you are assuming that Akhenaten was a tyrant. You should be careful not to apply background knowledge outside the confines of the question. You should identify the parts of the argument and then prephrase the flaw.

Identify the conclusion: Akhenaten was well loved and highly respected by his subjects.
Premise: His palace guards were fiercely loyal.

Notice the difference between the premise and the conclusion. The premise discusses how the palace guards feel, and the argument inappropriately assumes that the subjects (a much larger group than the guards) have the same feelings. This is your classic "unrepresentative sample" flaw. Answer choice C says the sample is "likely to be unrepresentative," and common sense explains why. Palace guards are likely chosen for their loyalty and trained to be loyal, moreso than the average subject.

ah! thank you for the clearification.