LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Ask questions about our company, courses, books, and tutoring.
 lathlee
|
Dear Mr. David M. Killoran,

If you check my record, you can see I bought 2011 version bibles, 1000 dollar lesson 1-12, and eventually bought 2016 versions too prior to December 2016 versoin. As you said, there was a lot of new updates in 2016 versions which helped me greatly understanding prior concepts and lessons (2011 version) that I had difficulty to understand. I asked similar question prior to Dave earlier last year; Dave gave me very honest answer prior which superseded and overcame on issues of fiances but only focused on my benefit only; I respect you greatly for that.

So yep. Is there any one of the particular books of version 2017 I should buy or all three ? Did you make significant changes again compared to 2016 version? I am planning to write LSAT in upcoming 2017 June session

Thank you for the consideration,

Regards,

Bill and lathlee
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Bill and Lathlee,

Thanks for the question, and for being a loyal student! Your 2016 LRB and 2016 LGB will be fine. The 2017 RCB is the one that changed the most this time, and thus is the one I feel is worth the purchase. The changes I made there were designed to refine our approach, and to help some of the tools we use be more easily understood.

Thanks!
 lathlee
|
Hi. David,

First of all, Thank you so much for kind and honest replies,

Before I make the final decision; I am just about to make a purchase to Logical comprehension 2017 version you advised me to buy. Can you just tell me how much upgrades been done since 2016 version to 2017 version in all three of LSAT Compoents with as much details you can provide Including Logical Reasoning bible Logic Games bibles? For example, when you informed me that there has been significant update regarding Principle questions compared to 2011 version to 2016 version in logical reasoning; such detailed information helped me a lot to a choice of purchasing all three books of 2016 version with strong confidence cuz your useful information regarding updates really made things so much clear and rationalizing my choice of purchasing the 2016 versions when you updated me with such details how much updates been since 2011 vs 2016 versions. I also confident that your kind and informative reply-to-be would help potentional buyers whom are going through similar dilemma and situation like myself as well. Please ?????

Thank you
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

Thanks for the question! I can try to do a complete rundown of each book in a few weeks or so, but at the moment I unfortunately don't have the time to detail everything that changed in all three books. I make numerous small changes each time that aren't really substantial as well as some bigger changes that really are significant, and listing it all out would take quite a bit of time :-D But, as I said above, I believe the 2016 LRB and LGB are fine to use in 2017, so I'm not sure that's necessary for you here at the moment. With the 2017 RCB, the changes were more significant compared to the 2016 RCB, hence my recommendation to get the 2017 RCB.

For other readers, some students have previously purchased older editions of the books, and so I am often asked about whether an older version acceptable to use. While I'd prefer that the newest version of each book be used since that is the most updated edition (and contains things like the most up-to-date guessing statistics), I understand that for financial and other reasons that is not always possible. Thus, I attempt to give an honest assessment of the last viable version of each book. Currently, the following is the oldest version of each book that I would use:

Whereas the 2015 RCB was fine in 2016, I believe the 2017 RCB is a significant step up over the 2016 RCB, and as such that's the one book of the three Bibles that I recommend be upgraded. For example, I split apart the second chapter and turned it into two separate chapters, and added a new introduction and discussion of ViewStamp, as well as refining the presentation of that idea. It's the main tool we advocate that students use to analyze RC passages, and I didn't like the way the technique was introduced and initially explained, and I felt the text didn't clearly convey the proper usage of the tool. So, the improvements made were based on my own perceptions of the chapter as well as feedback I'd received from students, and I hope that the new presentation makes that powerful tool even easier to use as well as easier to understand. Of course, that wasn't the only change of note, and I made changes elsewhere, which is one reason the 2017 edition is about 10 pages longer than the 2016 RCB.

Hopefully, that's enough information to help you with your decision here. Please let me know. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.