LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen—PR. The correct answer choice is (D)

The author in this stimulus presents a set of facts regarding careers in journalism, and then applies an unstated principle to reach a conclusion about what career counselors should tell their students.

There is a perception among many high school students interested in journalism that a career in journalism is glamorous, involving international reporting. However, the reality is that an “overwhelming majority” of reporters work for local newspapers and cover primarily local news. Because of this discrepancy between students’ expectations and reality, the author concludes that “high school counselors should tell students who are interested in journalism” the truth about what their life as a journalist would likely be, a local reporter covering local news.

This conclusion, that counselors should do something tells us that the author has applied a principle that controls how the counselors should act when faced with this disconnect between students’ perceptions and reality. While there are many ways in which this rule could be phrased, the effect of the rule is that the counselor should act to clear up the students’ misconception about a career they might pursue.

The question stem indicates that this is a Strengthen question. The correct answer choice will explicitly state the principle applied by the author. To do so, the correct answer will connect with the conclusion, stating that counselors should clear up the students’ misconceptions.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice does not connect with the conclusion, because the conclusion was not about encouraging the students, but rather about clearing up their misconceptions.

Answer choice (B): This choice overstates the concern expressed in this stimulus. It is too strong to stay that the students’ goal to be a journalist covering an international beat is unattainable—it is simply an atypical result. And, as with answer choice (A), the conclusion was not about encouraging the students, but rather telling them what life is like for a typical reporter.

Answer choice (C): As with answer choices (A) and (B), this choice is incorrect because the conclusion dealt with informing students about the realities of a journalism career. By focusing on encouragement rather than information, these answer choices connected to an issue that certainly is related to the counselor’s job, but was not the focus of this conclusion.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice, because it provides a rule that leads to the conclusion that counselors should tell students interested in journalism that the likely result of their choice would involve life as a local reporter covering local stories.

Answer choice (E): As with the other incorrect answer choices, this choice is incorrect because it places the focus on encouragement rather than information. And, relating specifically to the answer choice, we cannot say that the students who choose journalism would later regret that choice.
 cxmss170
|
why this question is not a sufficient assumption question?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi cxmss170,

I see you've picked up on the justify language in the stimulus. Remember for questions that are true justify the conclusion questions, there will be no language of degree in the question stem. An answer choice will either justify or it won't. So the language we see here "would most help to justify" actually indicates that we are trying to strengthen, or help the argument.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 jm123
|
I got this question right but I struggled with it. I seem to struggle with some principle questions and wanted some advice on what could help me with those question types.

Here I was hesitant to select D because it says "unrealistic conceptions." Why are the students' views unrealistic? Is it because the stimulus says that "the overwhelming majority of reporters work for local newspapers?"

Thanks in advance.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly right, jm123! Students think the jobs are glamorous and international, but they are not, so they have unrealistic conceptions. For a question like this, we need a principle - a rule or guideline - that tells us something more about what career counselors should do, since that is what the conclusion is about. Any answer that doesn't give guidance to those career counselors cannot help a conclusion that is about their actions.
 catatom
|
I didn't choose D because the conclusion was not about consequences just like A was not correct because the conclusion was not about encouragement. I don't understand this one.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Catatom,

In this case, even though the conclusion doesn't use the word "consequences," it is broadly about consequences. In talking about what life is like for a typical reporter, they are almost certainly going to talk about the consequences of a decision to pursue a career in journalism. Breaking down the answer choice, it says the counselors should basically tell students about any unrealistic ideas they have about what sort of work they'd be doing in a career. Per the stimulus, they aren't likely to be an international reporter traveling to fancy hotels around the world, and are more likely to be working a local beat. That answer choice supports the conclusion given.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.