to the top

#15 - A popular book argues that people who are successful

EmilyC
LSAT Novice

When I read this question I felt like I had a good understanding of the stimulus, and when I went to the answer choices I stalled out so I ended up skipping the question and ran out of time to do anything other than blindly guess in the last few seconds of the section.

I was under the impression that answer choice A, specifically the language it uses, while I know it points to conditional reason error, specifically was a reference to a mistaken reversal flaw. "Mistakes something required for the claim that it is sufficient"...doesn't that directly mirror the language used to describe mistaken reversal flaws? Page 7-8 in Lesson 7 of the powerscore course?

None of the answer choices seemed right, and there wasn't a mistaken reversal flaw in the stimulus so I was lost.

If I had more time to look back and think about it I might have guessed A since it's the only conditional flaw answer, but I still can't see why it's truly correct. I appreciate any advice or explanation!
Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Emily,
I think Rachael's explanation above is perfect. There is a reversal flaw but it is hidden.

"The book says Success :arrow: Luck but actually success :arrow: Hard Work. Therefore the book is wrong."
Well, just because success requires hard work doesn't mean that it also requires lots of luck. So, we must assume that not only is hard work necessary for success but that it is also sufficient for success. And if that were true, THEN the book's argument would be false.

1. HW :dbl: Success
therefore
2. Success :dblline: Luck
therefore
3. book's argument is ridiculous

You can see that he supported half of the argument in line 1 (that success :arrow: hardwork) but failed to support the idea that hardworking :arrow: success. He just assumed it, which is a mistaken reversal.