to the top

#17 - An antidote for chicken pox has been developed, but

Johnclem
LSAT Master

Hi powerscore,
Can someone please explain why E is the correct answer here . ?
I got rid of it because the stimulus said the drug has no side effect. I mean if it's causing a deadlier form of Chickenpox I really fail to see how that's not a side effect . I thought this question was totally unfair.
I chose D as resolving the paradox. As I felt D allows for the " danger " and no "side efffect " to be true .

Thanks
John
David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Johnclem wrote:Hi powerscore,
Can someone please explain why E is the correct answer here . ?
I got rid of it because the stimulus said the drug has no side effect. I mean if it's causing a deadlier form of Chickenpox I really fail to see how that's not a side effect . I thought this question was totally unfair.
I chose D as resolving the paradox. As I felt D allows for the " danger " and no "side efffect " to be true .

Thanks
John

Hello John,

Answer D, "When misused by taking larger than prescribed doses, the drug can be fatal", is pretty general and can refer to any drug. (Or even food or water: eating 500 pounds of anything, or drinking 500 gallons of water, at one sitting, may not be good for your health!) So it may not be the optimal answer here.
Answer E is kind of dirty, arguably, but it is what it is. Maybe "side effect" means something immediate in your body (like a headache), as opposed to a more long-range thing such as deadlier forms of chicken pox.

Hope this helps,
David