LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

gintriag
|
Hi guys,

The first and third answers match with the ones in the book. That doesnt happen with the second one. My second answer is:

Lines: 11-22
Group-Individual: Author
Viewpoint: Description of the HollyHock house
Tone: Positive. Praise.

Why am I incorrect or almost correct?

Thanks guys,
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gintriag,

I wouldn't say you are incorrect in your assessment, but it could be a little more subtle. The words giving clues about tone and viewpoint that I found are below:

"nevertheless" - signaling contrast from the critics' views

"such consternation" - The author may or my not agree that critics were justified in a little consternation.

"creates a rare sense of cohesion" - positive in that it contrasts with the critics' view of the house as being an "odd addition" and "inconsistent"

"allegorical connection" - further evidence that the house does fit in, at least in some ways, with the place where it was built.

So, the author's main point is to defend the house from the critics' specific charge that the house didn't belong. The tone isn't just generally positive. It is positive about the house, I agree, but the praise is thoughtful and directed at the debate over consistency/cohesion/connection.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi gintriag,

Your answer is not incorrect: you properly identified the author's views (lines 12-14, but I'd be willing to expand this to 12-22), which is favorable toward the HollyHock House. Our answer key is a slightly more elaborate version of yours - the author concedes that the building is not as domestic as expected, but views the critics as too harsh. In other words, the HollyHock House is actually more aesthetically valuable than the critics give it credit for.

There are many ways to describe these viewpoints: don't get caught up in minor stylistic differences such as these :-)

Thanks!
 lathlee
|
Hi. I have 6 viewpoints :1-4 author. Neutral, but used the word, odd.

Line 4-7 same as the book.
Line 7-10 group:many
Line 11-14 . group: author and main point view: same as the book
Line 14-21: group: neutral view: general description of the hollyhock house
Line 22-27 same as the book.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there lathlee, thanks for sharing that info, and sorry to take so long to respond. Did you have a question about the viewpoints in that drill?
 lathlee
|
yeah actually, is it okay if I have the view point analysis as i described, is it acceptable way?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I see no group viewpoint in lines - 11-21, lathlee. That's all just the author. Not until we get to line 22 do we get another viewpoint, that of the modern day architects. I agree that some portion of lines 11-21 is somewhat neutral, there is no group or many point there, no opinion or attitude attributed to critics or architects or anyone else besides the author.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.