LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 O$UKAPSiG
|
I am having a difficult time with grouping games (more specifically In/Out). I have literally referred back to Chapter 5 in the LG Bible 20 times to review conditional reasoning, linkage, inferences, etc. Are there any specific supplemental resources that focus primarily on these types of games (I have the Logic Games QTT) - however, i am in need to more direct instructional methods. Would the Logic Games workbook be a wise investment?

In addition, one of the issues I am having is that when establishing inferences, the amount of space that is taken up on a single page of paper seems to be impacting my performance (especially since one single error can jeopardize an entire game). Are their any specific tips that you would recommend to reduce the amount of space when establishing linkages/inferences?
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi OSUKapSig,

Thanks for your questions.

I can't really speak to your first question - I am not aware of any specific supplemental resources that deal with grouping games, but perhaps some of my colleagues are?

I can, however, help in general with grouping games and specifically give you a tip (or new way of thinking about these games) that should hopefully make them easier and less space-intensive for you. This is a technique I teach all of my students, and it can be really, really helpful for dealing with the conditional reasoning present in many grouping games.

Try this next time you encounter a grouping game with lots of conditional rules:

-don't stress too much about combining these conditional rules in every possible way to find as many different links between them as possible (we would typically call these inferences; but sometimes, in this specific type of game, I think they do more harm than good).

-instead, just make sure you quickly and accurately transcribe each of the original rules and, directly below it (and vertically aligned with it), its contrapositive.

-when you are diagramming the original rules, align them vertically so that the left hand, or sufficient, term(s) of each rule are directly above and below the left-hand, or sufficient, terms of the other rules, and the same will happen to the right-hand (necessary) terms, as well as the arrows; in other words, stack the rules so that all of the arrows are in a straight vertical line.

-finally, how to use these rules more efficiently: every time you are given a new piece of information - in a local, added-rule question (e.g., 'If Johnny and Suzy do go on the field trip, which one of the following students must go?'), write down the new piece of information, then cover up the entire right-hand (necessary) side of your stack of rules, so that only the left-hand (sufficient) terms are showing. Then, look to see if the new piece of information (e.g., J and S are included in the going-on-the-field-trip group) activates any of these rules. For instance, if you had a rule saying J :arrow: R, then that rule is activated, and you can uncover the right-hand side to see what you've learned from it. Repeat the process with each new piece of information you are able to deduce until no more rules can be activated. If you do so successfully, you can be confident that you've fully applied the rules.

This technique should save you time, brain-power, confusion, and space. I've never tried to explain it on the forum before though, only in person, so if it's not clear what I mean, please direct message me and I'll try to clarify. I have seen this technique work wonders though; give it a try.
 kylaearle
|
I am posting here so I don't lose this. I average about 20 minutes on a grouping question, and I feel like the further I go into them the less I understand. I do spend quite a bit of time on the front end, so I will try your technique and see how it goes!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.