LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

So I guess this question is along the same question type as 11, in that its a Cannot Be True. So I just wanted to check my reasoning on this one.

After reading this question, it seems that the bigger issue is qualification versus job performance. So this is reason why I eliminated;

(A): b/c it mentions Maples seniority, and this could be true but we cant know that from the stimulus
(B, C, D) : Also these a.c. bring up Maples being a better or worst mayor compared to Tannet, and this all could be true , but the stimulus is concerned with qualification.

So this is the reason why E is correct. B/c the stimulus says that every member is better qualified compared to any member of the TP party, obviously this would include Tannet. E is unsupported by b/c its the opposite of what the MP chairperson is saying. Therefore, it cant be true.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Looks pretty good, Sarah! I just want to point out again that the issue isn't whether an answer choice is supported or not. The issue is whether that answer choice is disproven. It's more than just that it lacks support. It's that it is impossible if the stimulus is true.

Also, I think you might be over-thinking the issue of qualification vs job performance in this question. I think it's safe to say that they are the same thing here. Every member of the modern party would be a better mayor than any member of the traditionalist party.

Keep up the good work!
 NeverMissing
|
I got this question right pretty easily, but I noticed an assumption that the argument requires you to make; it requires you to assume that the Modern Party Chairperson is a member of the Modern Party. It is certainly highly plausible, but in theory there could be some party structure wherein the party chairperson must be a neutral third party and not a member. It's perhaps very likely, but the argument gives us no reason to assume that it is 100% true that the chairperson is a member of the Modern Party.

This question speaks to a more general question I've been encountering alot in my LSAT studying that I am not quite sure how to account for: What should we do when we encounter an argument with a flaw or an underlying assumption, but the question has nothing to do with that flaw or assumption (like a MBT question or a part of the argument question)? Does an argument with an unaddressed flaw change the way we should attack the answer choices if the question is not interested in the flaw?
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, NeverMissing,

Thank you for the thoughtful question! While I commend your close reading of the stimulus, as an instructor I would like to caution you that you might be parsing these stimuli too nicely and introducing assumptions or suppositions that will hinder your understanding of the questions.

From time to time, I return to the LSAT section Directions for LR, specifically:
  • You should not make assumptions that are by commonsense standards implausible, superfluous, or incompatible with the passage.
To wit, the idea that a chairperson may not be a member of a party of which she is the chair is conceivable, though almost paradoxical. However, it certainly would seem "by commonsense standards implausible" and thus outside the scope of the LSAT and not a flaw in and of itself. Thus, this particular issue is not germane for our understanding of this question.

Your general question is also excellent and certainly something that we encounter periodically on the LSAT, that is, stimuli that contain errors in reasoning for which the question does not concern these errors of reasoning. For instance, you might encounter a Method of Reasoning question that asks which role a certain statement plays. The overall argument might include a glaring flaw, but the statement itself may not be related to this flaw. If this is the case, the flaw is not significant and you can safely ignore it.

However, the LSAT sometimes will indirectly test whether you noticed a flaw on such questions. For instance, a question may ask which of the following roles a statement plays. If the statement is a premise in a flawed argument, the credited response may be something akin to the following: "The statement is an example of a situation that is purportedly analogous to a different situation."

Herein we notice an allusion to a flaw that is not itself the subject of the question.

In other circumstances, such as strengthen and weaken stimuli, multiple flaws may be present and some of these may have nothing to do with the credited response. The presence of multiple flaws on these questions adds to their difficulty. Students must perceive that to answer such questions correctly, they must realize that the correct answer may not address the most glaring flaw, but perhaps a flaw that seems minor by comparison.

Finally, if a stimuli contains a flawed argument but the question task has nothing whatsoever to do with this flaw, as in a Must Be True situation, then the flaw is immaterial and little more than a distraction.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.