LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen—CE. The correct answer choice is (D)

This stimulus also contains causal reasoning—the conclusion takes a correlation and turns it into a
causal relationship:

..... G = higher concentration of galanin in the brain
..... CFF = crave fatty foods

..... ..... ..... C ..... E
..... ..... ..... G :arrow: CFF

As with all causal arguments, once you identify the causality, you must immediately look to the
question stem and then attack. In this instance, the author simply assumes that galanin is the cause.
But why can’t the fatty foods lead to higher concentrations of galanin?

Answer choice (A): If anything, this answer choice may hurt the argument by showing that
the cravings do not always lead to choosing fatty foods. But, since the author uses the phrase
“consistently chose” to describe the choices of the rats, an answer stating that rats did not
“invariably” choose fatty foods has no effect on the argument.

Answer choice (B): This is a Shell Game answer because the test makers try to get you to fall for an
answer that addresses the wrong issue. The argument discusses the concentration of galanin in the
brains of rats; no mention is made of the fat content of the brains of rats. This answer, which focuses
on the fat content in the brains of rats, therefore offers no support to the argument. Even though the
brain might not contain more fat, a rat could still consistently choose and eat foods with a higher fat
content.

Answer choice (C): The argument is that galanin in the brain causes rats to crave fatty foods. The
fact that galanin is in the food does not help that assertion and may actually hurt the argument.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer. The answer strengthens the argument by eliminating
the possibility that the stated causal relationship is reversed: if the rats had higher concentrations
of galanin prior to eating the fatty foods, then the fatty foods cannot be the cause of the higher
concentration of galanin. As discussed earlier in the chapter, this approach strengthens the argument
by making it more likely that the author had the original relationship correct.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice hurts the argument by suggesting that the causal relationship
in the conclusion is reversed. Remember that in Strengthen questions you can expect to see Opposite
answers, and this is one.
 Dajpol
|
Can someone help me understand why D is the answer? I selected A, and am guessing now after a review of the answer - that A may actually weaken the question? Is that true?

Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Dajpol wrote:Can someone help me understand why D is the answer? I selected A, and am guessing now after a review of the answer - that A may actually weaken the question? Is that true?

Thanks!

Hello Dajpol,

Answer A may weaken, since it shows a disjunction, a lack of connection, between galanin and actually choosing fatty foods. Answer D, on the other hand, helps eliminate the possibility that instead of the galanin making rats want fatty foods, maybe eating the fatty foods put more galanin in the rats' brains instead.

Hope this helps,
David
 kylienoel
|
I got the answer to this question correct, however, I do not understand why E weakens the argument. I wrote down that it neither helps nor hurts the argument. I'm reading that E suggests that the causal relationship in the conclusion is reversed i.e. CFF :arrow: G. Specifically, I don't understand how metabolize fat less efficiently = crave fatty foods. Can someone explain? Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kylie,

Good question. Remember for strengthen questions, the wrong answers won't all be weaken. They will be either weaken OR have no impact on the argument. So even if you didn't see that this answer choice weakened, you (hopefully) would kick it out anyway.

Here however, we do have an answer choice that weakens the relationship. This argument has a causal conclusion---Galanin causes the rats to crave fatty foods. Anything that provides an alternate cause, shows the cause can occur without the effect, shows the effect can occur without the cause, or shows that the cause and effect are reversed will weaken that causal relationship.

Answer choice (E) shows a reversed cause and effect. It's not that the galanin causes the rats to crave fatty foods, but it's the food that causes the rats to develop the gelanin.

Hope that helps.
 marco4568
|
Rachael Wilkenfeld wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:47 pm Hi Kylie,

Good question. Remember for strengthen questions, the wrong answers won't all be weaken. They will be either weaken OR have no impact on the argument. So even if you didn't see that this answer choice weakened, you (hopefully) would kick it out anyway.

Here however, we do have an answer choice that weakens the relationship. This argument has a causal conclusion---Galanin causes the rats to crave fatty foods. Anything that provides an alternate cause, shows the cause can occur without the effect, shows the effect can occur without the cause, or shows that the cause and effect are reversed will weaken that causal relationship.

Answer choice (E) shows a reversed cause and effect. It's not that the galanin causes the rats to crave fatty foods, but it's the food that causes the rats to develop the gelanin.

Hope that helps.
I think this is somewhat questionable unless you assume rats that metabolize fat less efficiently are also rats that crave fatty foods. Is this suggested from the stimulus? or is it "reasonable" to infer that?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Marco,

We aren't assuming anything about the facts here. Strengthen questions ask you to introduce new information to the stimulus, and consider what impact that new information would have on the conclusion. So if answer choice (E) is true, what does that tell us about the stimulus? It gives us a reason to think the relationship could be reversed. It doesn't need to prove the relationship is reversed. It doesn't have to prove the conclusion false at all. Even something that brings the conclusion into doubt, in whatever small way, is enough to say it doesn't strengthen the argument.

Hope that helps!
 ypatel
|
Hi thank you for previous all the explanations, but I was confused b/w B and D, I got causality right but I was thinking of B as eliminating other causes and saying that all things are equal in all rats can strengthen also in D they have given directly same causation, i got right but i was not able to eliminate B can you tell me how i should interpret B and whether i have interpreted it right or not ?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ypatel!

I believe I understand your point about (B) eliminating other causes. It's not clear, however, that (B) is actually doing that.

The fact that we're told is that the rats eating the fatty foods "did not contain significantly more fat" in comparison with the rats that chose lean foods. We don't know how, if at all, the presence of more or less fat in the rats' brains factors in--at most, (B) seems to do nothing to the stimulus. We would need more in the stimulus that connects brain fat to galanin or to the preference for fatty versus lean food.

This is just to reiterate the administrators explanation above noting that (B) is a shell game. Since (B) doesn't clearly do anything to the conclusion, it can't be correct for a strengthen question.
 lemonade42
|
Hello,
I'm confused on how (A) weakens/ "may hurt" the argument. If the cravings do not always lead to choosing fatty foods, how can we use that to weaken the causal relationship between galanin and fatty foods since choosing foods comes after craving foods?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.