LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Reading Comprehension.
 Johnclem
|
Hello powerscore,
I have been seeing a lot of advice that suggests if one has a couple of months to study the lsat then it's best to pick up economist magazines . I have purchased every single lsat test to date .. just wondering if I should be reading outside sources or stick to the actual reading comp passages as they also have an additional benefit of the questions that follow the passage .
What do you think I should do ? - I am in desperate need to improve RC . I am only able to finish 2 passages ! Ans usually get one or two questions wrong. I'm a very slow reader.
Please help !

Thank you
John
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Johnclem,

Thanks for your question. It is a good one.

I had a tutoring student this last test cycle (preparing for the June test) who began reading the Economist to improve his RC score, and it seemed to work for him. I have heard that it works for others too, and so, clearly, have you.

I would recommend mixing both. I think it's hard to beat RC passages for practice material when trying to improve one's score on.... RC passages. That said, the Economist is a lot more inherently interesting for some people. So, if you feel like reading the Economist when you maybe don't feel like practicing RC, it can be a great tool.

The Economist can be a challenging read in terms of its subject matter, like many RC passages, but it tends to employ a straightforward style, like many RC passages. I think that is why it is useful in preparing for RC. So, if you have every test to date, I would focus mostly on actual RC passages, and supplement those where you can with Economist reading in your off-time.

I also think that a lot of students who worry about their speed in RC might be well served to try forcing themselves to speed up. It's entirely possible that doing so won't help you; I have students for whom that is the case. But it is also possible that going faster, even if it is uncomfortable and maybe makes you feel like you retain less of what you read (and maybe are not as sure when answering questions), that it might improve your score in RC regardless.

Have you tried going faster (maybe set a pace for completing three of the passages and their questions), even if you have to force yourself? It is, without a doubt, worth trying; it may not be a viable strategy for you, but it is for some people and you won't know until you try.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.