to the top

#10 - Stage performances are judged to be realistic

JennuineInc
LSAT Apprentice

Hi,

I'm having trouble verbalizing why C is wrong. I thought the answer was C because if realism isn't an essential criterion for evaluating the performances of both types of actors then the argument doesn't work because audiences judge performances of method actors to be more realistic than traditional ones.

Is "judge the performances" the same as "evaluating the performances"? or am I misunderstanding the linkage there.

I think I'm misunderstanding the conclusion of the stimulus. I guess realism doesn't have to be ESSENTIAL for the audience to judge method actors as more realistic?

Thanks!
David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

JennuineInc wrote:Hi,

I'm having trouble verbalizing why C is wrong. I thought the answer was C because if realism isn't an essential criterion for evaluating the performances of both types of actors then the argument doesn't work because audiences judge performances of method actors to be more realistic than traditional ones.

Is "judge the performances" the same as "evaluating the performances"? or am I misunderstanding the linkage there.

I think I'm misunderstanding the conclusion of the stimulus. I guess realism doesn't have to be ESSENTIAL for the audience to judge method actors as more realistic?

Thanks!

Hello JennuineInc,

"Judge" and "evaluate" do seem to be relatively synonymous.
As for realism, there is a subtle thing going on here maybe: the issue is more about what audiences find to be realistic, than what genuinely is realistic. For example, maybe in real life people don't cry two buckets of tears every time they get sad, but for some reason audiences think it's realistic for them to cry that much when they're sad. One person's judgment of what's realistic, may not really be realistic!!
(Also, answer C doesn't help explain or flesh out differences between traditional and Method acting, as a viable answer likely should.)

Hope this helps,
David
nmgee
LSAT Apprentice

So is it the case that (A) is incorrect because Method acting only "affects an audience's emotions", whereas (B) more specifically describes the actors' behavior as "conforming" to audience's emotional associations?

Thanks!
Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

nmgee,

Thanks for the question! I think you've basically got it - the issue with answer choice (A) is that the conclusion isn't about how the audience's emotions are affected, which is what answer choice (A) is discussing. The conclusion instead is about how audiences judge the level of realism of an actor's portrayal, which is the connection that answer choice (B) helps to make.

Hope that helps!
Alex