LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

This argument essentially concludes that publishing airline statistics will not make the public more informed about airline safety because the required reports from the airlines will be less likely to be complete. The author is assuming that incomplete reports will prevent the public from being more informed, but we have no idea how much (or how little) information was available to the public prior to these published reports. What if the public had virtually no information before the new policy was put into effect? If so, then even incomplete information would be better than no information at all. Prephrasing this flaw immediately shows that answer choice (A) is correct.

The argument contains what is known as a "Relativity Flaw." Test makers often play on the distinction between relative states and absolute states within arguments. This distinction is often subtle and can be difficult to spot, since it's not really categorical like a Source Argument, but instead hinges on the nature of comparisons in language.

In this case the conclusion is relative (the public will not be better off in comparison to the past), but the premise is absolute (the statistics are not perfect or complete). The flaw with that? Even though something is not perfect or complete, it still may be "better" than the alternative. In other words, even if the public is not fully informed, they still may be more informed than they were before. And it's the author’s failure to consider this possibility that's the flaw in this argument.

Answer Choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. Even though the reports are incomplete, they still may make the public more informed than before. The author mistakenly assumed that an incomplete report could not make the public more informed, which, as outlined above, is the flaw in this argument.

Answer Choice (B): This answer choice is an example of exaggeration. The author never gives any indication that he assumes the public has a right to all information in matters of public safety. Many incorrect answers in Prove Family questions contain exaggerated language. These answers are often incorrect because it is difficult if not impossible to prove the exaggerated statement from the information in the stimulus.

Answer Choice (C): This answer choice is another example of an exaggeration. The author never presumed that information about airline safety was impossible to find in the absence of government disclosures. Once again, the exaggerated language cannot be supported by the author’s statements in the stimulus, and is therefore incorrect.

Answer Choice (D): The author was concerned with whether the reports were complete, not whether or not they were accurate. An incomplete report could nevertheless be an accurate report. This is an example of a Shell Game Answer. Here, accuracy is very similar to the discussion in the stimulus about how complete the reports were, but ultimately different. Shell Game Answers prey on students who do not read closely and know exactly what was stated in the stimulus.

Answer Choice (E): The impact on revenues is not relevant to whether or not these incomplete reports will frustrate the government’s goal of keeping the public informed. The impact on revenues may help decide whether publishing these statistics is a good idea or not, but that would be a very different argument than the one presented in the stimulus.
 lathlee
|
Admin edit: due to LSAC policies and copyright law, complete LSAT questions cannot be posted online. However, posting in this section of the forum (Test Explanations) immediately identifies the question, and eliminates the need for the text to be posted. Note: you can quote small sections of the question as needed for your question.

Breakdown: Premise: . The government has recently adopted a policy of publishing airline statistics, including statics about each airline’s number of near collisions and its fines for safety violations.
Premises: airlines will be much less likely to give complete reports if such information will be made available to the public.
Conclusion: such disclosure actually undermines the government’s goal of making the public more informed about airline safety
Remaining concern : the answer sheet says a) is the correct answer. But after the following breakdown: I still can’t analyze why a) is the right answer. What kind of common error is this? I think it is use of evidence error . but even if it is use of evidence error, why is it an error
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey lathlee,

Sure thing! Before we work through it though just a quick head's up: we can get into some trouble with LSAC, the people who make and own the test questions, if the text of those questions gets posted publicly on our Forum (they're really strict on that, believe it or not), so to save you the time of including all that text and us the time of having to replace it with the little disclaimer above, you can just post the question number and your thoughts/concerns on it and we'll take it from there :) A win-win for you and us! Thanks in advance!

(Admin note- Complete Question Explanation included in this post was moved to the top of the thread)

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Nikki
 lathlee
|
Hi.
First of all, Thank you so much for your kind answer.

I won't post the stem and question stem anymore in the future. okay.

what is Relativity Flaw? As you can see from my ID profile, you know I purchased the 1000 dollar prep books as well as other three books of LSAT Logical bible sets (If you want, I can send you the proofs). I assume Relativity Flaw is newly added common error type for LSAT Logical reasoning bible that is added since I bought LSAT logic bible set books. so I think i have the right to know the definition of Relativity Flaw and the good example of it other than this one? If I sound rude, I apologize. It's just i am desperate. cuz I keep getting discouraged by common errors reasoning, i want to perfect it as much as I can.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

Great! Thanks for that! Fortunately we have all the questions so as soon as we know what you're working on we can pull it right up :) And no you don't sound rude! Believe me, I know how frustrating this test can be--I deal with students daily so I feel your, and their, pain.

As for the new books, there have definitely been some solid additions (most notably to the LGB) over the past year, but whether it's worth updating is a hard thing for us to determine for people sometimes. In your case, if Flaw questions are giving you the hardest time right now, I think your current LRB is fine. The strategies and flaw types outlined there haven't changed, so while you'd notice some updates/expansions elsewhere, that particular section has been kept intact.

Here's some more info though if you want to see specifically what occurred in each, where the author of those books, Dave Killoran, addresses the same question you have and explains exactly how they've changed:

..... https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/ ... 4_vs_2016/

The relativity flaw idea is really just a variation on the Error in the Use of Evidence category we cover in the LRB. As long as you understand that absolute claims typically can't be used to prove comparative claims, and vice versa, you should be able to spot this flaw when you see it! Pay close attention to the language used and always be skeptical of what the author is trying to establish: in this case, asking "could something still be 'more' despite not being 100%?"

One more thing: the list of Logical Fallacies in the LRB and coursebooks is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all possible logical fallacies out there (like an academic list that you'd find in a grad-school type course on logic). This would not be terribly helpful for the LSAT, since it would go way beyond what's actually tested on the LSAT. Instead we describe the key ones that appear with some frequency so that students are able, with a lot of practice and exposure, to spot them and crush the question!

Hope this helps!
 lathlee
|
Hi.
I checked your response and the linke you provided. one of the links said that it will provide me some discounts when i purchase the new versions. how much of the discount would that be?
also, can you provide me better version of what relativity flaw and example? I couldn't understand well enough on the definition you provided, which was certainly big help. but I just wanted to best prepared.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

Jon is actually putting together a reply for you on the this question, which will address the question you've asked. And, the good news is that you shouldn't need new books :-D Briefly, that term isn't a formal one, but it's one we use informally at times (and we'll revise Nikki's replies to make that clearer for other, future readers). Fortunately, it's an error that has been discussed on this Forum, and falls under part-and-whole arguments, as Nikki mentioned. Jon will go into detail on this very shortly, and make sure the concept is crystal clear!

Note: we're going to edit this thread over the next few minutes to avoid possible confusion going forward.

Thanks!
 lathlee
|
david, thx so much
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lathlee,

Thanks for the follow up! As Dave mentioned I'll see if I can provide some quick thoughts on this particular question/flaw, and the need for new books.

Books first: from what I'm reading I'd say you don't need them, as Dave points out above haha. Check that reddit thread above and I think you'll agree. If you wanted an updated system for diagramming LG sequencing, or some additional pages of drills, or some of the other items covered in that link, then by all means consider the update! But from the sound of things you're just fine with what you have. Now it's about lots and lots of practice!

Now question #12: I tweaked Nikki's response above to point out that this type of flaw is really a single instance of an Evidence Error, rather than a stand-alone category, like Circular or Source. Calling it "relativity flaw" is just an easy way to describe it, but don't worry: you're not missing out on a whole, unique category or flaw type. Hopefully with that in mind Nikki's breakdown of the error itself makes the question and right answer choice clear :)

If not, we've talked a little bit about similar instances of relative errors (and the difficulty of fitting every mistake into a neat category) elsewhere in the Forum, so check this out if you're still a little uncertain: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=516&t=6604.

Lastly, I noticed that you asked about the possible need for new books in another Forum section too, so in the interest of avoiding any confusion (to consolidate the chat, basically) I'm going to pull that other post and we can continue talking here, if you want to :)

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks!

Jon
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lathlee wrote:david, thx so much
Always glad to help!

By the way, I always think of this flaw along the lines of: just because someone says that A is higher than B doesn't mean that A is actually high. For example, Plant A might be taller than Plant B, but that doesn't mean that Plant A is actually "tall." Plant A could be two inches high, and Plant B be could be one inch :-D

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.