LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must be True. The correct answer choice is (C)

The confusion here is that Mary Simms is talking about the basis of the business she represents, an outdoor advertising company, while Jack Jordan is talking about the basis of the other businesses of the community. By the way, it may not be easy to classify this question, but it is a must be true question, as it is basically asking, from the information given, which word must they be misinterpreting.

Answer Choice (A): It seems pretty clear that they both have the same interpretation of the word "billboard", they just have different perspectives regarding the effects of billboards.

Answer Choice (B): Both parties are similarly interpreting the word "basis", they just have different opinions regarding what the basis of their different businesses are.

Answer Choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. When Mary is referring to the basis of "our" business, she is referring to her outdoor advertising company. When Jack is referring to "our" business, he seems to be referring to the community of businesses as a whole within the Chamber of Commerce.

Answer Choice (D): Both of them are similarly interpreting the word "ability", but are applying the word to different things. Mary is referring to the ability of her advertising company to make money, while Jack is again referring to the ability of the businesses as a whole.

Answer Choice (E): Once again, they are both using the same sense of the word "damaged", Jack is just referring to the businesses as a whole, while Mary is referring to her outdoor advertising business.
 smackmartine
|
LSAT -Question type training :

Must be true - Q 5 ,page 22.

[LSAT question removed by Admin]

I am not able to choose one between the two. What are the subtle differences that make one superior over other?

Do I need to type the whole question each time.(Its time taking- can't I just mention the Book/Page/Question?)
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The key to choosing answer choice (E) is to examine the implications of the second clause in the last sentence: "big business is perceived as socially responsible only in times of prosperity." Clearly, providing consumers with fair prices and services is not the only social responsibility of big business. If it were, people would not perceive big business differently in prosperous and non-prosperous times. In other words, the social responsibility of big business extends beyond providing consumers with fairly priced goods and services (E).

(D) is incorrect, because we don't know why people regard big business as socially responsible in times of prosperity. Though we cannot be sure, It is possible that such businesses are perceived as socially responsible because they provide consumers with value for their money. Therefore, it is possible that consumers would cease to regard big business as socially responsible if it stopped providing them with value for their money. Because this possibility is not ruled out by the information in the stimulus, answer choice (D) cannot be proven and is therefore incorrect.
 smackmartine
|
Got it.Thanks Nikki.
 yrivers
|
Hi, could you explain which words show that each person is referring to different businesses? I read Jack to be able to be a rep from Mary's company.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there yrivers! What makes you think Jack works for the same company Mary does? The stimulus says that Mary works for an outdoor advertising company and that Jack is a local merchant. When Mary says "our business" she is referring to the business of her outdoor advertising company; Jack, on the other hand, is referring to the business of the Chamber of Commerce, at whose meeting he and Mary are making their claims. With nothing to suggest that he works for her company, and some language ("local merchant") suggesting that he in fact does not, you should not make the inference that he does, nor give much consideration to the possibility that he might. Even if he does, though, it's pretty clear he is referring to the Chamber's business and not the company's business, wouldn't you agree?

I hope that helps sort this business out!
 Kennedv_
|
Hi,

I read Jack's comments as if he was talking about his own business as well (his business would hurt because people would not want to stop in town and shop as his business if they saw ugly amenities). What is suppose to let us test takers know that he was talking about something else in case we interpret it wrong?

I am using the Powerscore question type training and right after this question I skimmed through the rest of the chapter to see if there were questions like this because I have never ever seen a question like this before. Must be super super rare but I thought it was interesting!

Thanks for the help in advance!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kennedv,

In this case, Jack is referring to the business community as a whole, including his business. The word "our" includes his business. Otherwise, he would use a word like "their" businesses. The question here is how broad the word "our" is for both Mary and Jack. Mary uses "our" to only really include outdoor advertising businesses, including hers. Jack uses the term to refer to all community businesses, including his.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.