LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Point at Issue—CE. The correct answer choice is (A)

This stimulus describes the disagreement between Dr. Tyson and Dr. Rees regarding certain footprints found in volcanic ash. Dr. Tyson believes that they are early hominid- made because they reflect certain attributes of human feet—a big toe leading to smaller toes. Dr. Rees disagrees, because the prints would have been made with an unlikely cross-step.

This question asks for the basis of the disagreement. Only correct answer choice (A) describes a point at issue: the two disagree about the significance of various aspects of the evidence: Dr. Tyson believes that the similarity to human footprints suggests that the prints were made by hominids, while Tr. Rees believes that this is doubtful based on another aspect—that the hominids would have had to walk with a strange cross-step.
 ylikate
|
I chose D for this question. When I apply the Agree/Disagree test, I get Dr Tyson is Yes. He thinks that the evidence was enought to conclude while Dr Rees would disagree.
(A) talks about "various aspects" of the evidence which I do not see. The only aspect the stimulus talked about was the outline of footprint

Thanks.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kate,

In that one, answer choice (D) suggests that the two paleontologists disagree about the very general question of whether evidence from one site is enough to support a conclusion--but both speakers actually do draw conclusions based on the evidence from that site--Tyson concludes that they are early hominids, and Rees concludes, based on the cross-step, that they are not hominids.

As for correct answer choice (A), Tyson is swayed by the human characteristics of the feet, saying that the squarish heel and two are very significant considerations--characteristics which in Tyson's eyes, define the species as early hominid. Dr. Rees believes that the unexpected cross-stepping is a more significant consideration--that is provides the basis for rejecting Tyson's conclusion.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 biskam
|
Is B incorrect because we can't for sure we know how Dr. Rees would feel about this assumption? (We know Dr. Tyson would agree)

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think it's worse than that, biskam. Since Rees disagrees that the footprints are hominid, he must also agree that it is possible to determine whether or not a footprint is from a hominid. Either way, though, since we cannot know that Rees would disagree with that assumption, we cannot select answer B because it fails our agree/disagree test.

And btw, who in their right mind with disagree with Dr. Tyson? ;-)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.