LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A)

The author mentions each of the ideas in answer choices B-E in the second and third paragraphs. An increase in the clotting of blood from platelets is mentioned as a possible cause of premature heart disease, not a preventative occurrence.
 lsathml
|
Hello

I understand why A is correct, (I misread it) but I'm struggling to see how D is suggested as helping to prevent premature heart disease.

D= 'increased activity of a natural compound that reduces blood clotting.'

In lines 34-37 it states, 'studies show an increased activity of a natural clot-breaking compound...in victims of heart disease.'
If this is found in victims of heart disease, how does this help to prevent premature heart disease? Is it referring to the fact that doctors use this to treat heart disease victims rather than this was already in their blood stream, if so that still doesn't mean that it helps to PREVENT premature heart disease.

Could you please advise?

Thank you.
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsathml,

Welcome to the forum and we are always happy to advise. We actually teach this passage in our online and in-person courses because it's such a great Science passage that the LSAT has offered up. There are issues of causation which are thoroughly tested in the questions. You have cited the correct lines for why you should eliminate (D) but it looks like you are struggling with the way that doctors are using the natural clot breaking compound and whether they are present in a normal person.

Think of it this way. Some people have these compounds and other do not. For those who do not, they are obviously not naturally producing these compounds in enough quantity to make a difference in their heart health. The cited lines tell us that victims of decreased flow are victims of heart disease. So the doctors have to give them some to try to heal them and increase blood flow. But if I am a normal, healthy person, I don't need the doctors to inject me. Compare it to insulin. Most peoples' pancreases produce enough insulin to break down the sugars that they consume. A lack of insulin means diabetes, like a lack blood flow means heart disease. In a normal person's pancreas, their body is going to naturally produce enough sugar, just like they are going to produce these anti-clotting compounds. Without either of those things, diabetes and heart disease happen. In other words, insulin prevents type 1 Diabetes like anti-clotting compounds prevent heart disease.

Thanks for the great question!
 lsathml
|
nicholaspavic wrote:Hi lsathml,

Welcome to the forum and we are always happy to advise. We actually teach this passage in our online and in-person courses because it's such a great Science passage that the LSAT has offered up. There are issues of causation which are thoroughly tested in the questions. You have cited the correct lines for why you should eliminate (D) but it looks like you are struggling with the way that doctors are using the natural clot breaking compound and whether they are present in a normal person.

Think of it this way. Some people have these compounds and other do not. For those who do not, they are obviously not naturally producing these compounds in enough quantity to make a difference in their heart health. The cited lines tell us that victims of decreased flow are victims of heart disease. So the doctors have to give them some to try to heal them and increase blood flow. But if I am a normal, healthy person, I don't need the doctors to inject me. Compare it to insulin. Most peoples' pancreases produce enough insulin to break down the sugars that they consume. A lack of insulin means diabetes, like a lack blood flow means heart disease. In a normal person's pancreas, their body is going to naturally produce enough sugar, just like they are going to produce these anti-clotting compounds. Without either of those things, diabetes and heart disease happen. In other words, insulin prevents type 1 Diabetes like anti-clotting compounds prevent heart disease.

Thanks for the great question!
Hey

Thank you-much clearer. I think as you say I was stuck on interpreting it as only via the doctor's use, rather than the fact the issue is the lack of, and so if you have the natural compound it can prevent. Thank you!
 lathlee
|
Hi. I struggled between a and c, I went with C and after many considerations and reviews, I think I am still right.

answer c: an increase in the amount of time it takes alcohol to be absorbed into the bloodstream.
line 15-25. : while alcohol has been shown conclusively to have negative physiological effects - for example, alcohol strongly affects the body's processing of lipids (fats and other substances including cholesterol, causing DANGEROUS INCREASES IN THE LEVELS OF these substances in the blood, increase that are a large contributing factor in the development of premature heart disease - the researchers found that absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream occurs much more SLOWLY when subjects drink win than when they drink distilled spirits.

these lines tell us that wine helps a human body to slowly absorb into the bloodstream than alcohol which is healthier which proves C) didn't take place which makes the C) correct answer.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think you are missing the point of those lines, lathlee, or perhaps misinterpreting that answer choice. The passage tells us that wine has certain beneficial effects on health, and delves into why that might be. One of the reasons given is that alcohol from wine is absorbed more slowly than other alcohol. In other words, slower absorption is better. Answer C lists an increase in the amount of time it takes to absorb alcohol, and "increased time" means slower (takes more time to finish). Were you perhaps interpreting "increase in the amount of time" to mean "faster"?

Just to illustrate, it normally takes me about 25 minutes to drive to my class in Los Angeles. Sometimes, though, traffic is heavy, and it takes an increase in the amount of time - instead of 25 minutes it takes 40. That means I drove there slower, not faster.

I hope that clears it up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.