I was accepted last week to Penn Law and put down a seat deposit yesterday (they gave me until today). However I am still on the waitlist at NYU and would like to pursue this opportunity. I just did a video interview on Friday but have not contacted them since. That said, I am wondering how to proceed with communicating my continued interest to NYU although I have committed to Penn. I am unsure whether to tell NYU I have been accepted to Penn right away hoping they make a decision soon, or wait a bit longer to update them as I just completed my interview on Friday. Also, do I need to tell NYU that I have actually committed to Penn as omitting that information is disingenuous?
I've heard that admissions reps can talk to each other and am worried about telling NYU I am still interested while I have already told Penn I am coming. I really am excited about Penn, but want to pursue the opportunity at NYU since I have come this far on the waitlist and think it may ultimately be a better fit for me.
Please let me know your thoughts on how to proceed!!!
Deposited at school but still on waitlist elsewhere
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Congrats on the acceptance! That's wonderful news.
I know it can feel like an uncomfortable situation to be considering both schools at this point in the game, but I assure you, it's perfectly normal!
Typically, it's completely fine to put down a deposit at a school without committing to attending. In the absence of early decision or a binding program, a deposit is not a promise to attend. It's a sum of money you are willing to lose if you don't attend. Baring language in the deposit form saying otherwise, that money is gone if you don't attend, but there aren't further consequences.
You don't need to do anything further for NYU. As long as they know you want to stay on the waitlist, and it sounds like they do if you just did a video interview Friday. It sounds like you've already let them know of your continuing interest. Typically, you can always respond to a waitlist notification with a letter of continuing interest, but it won't make much sense if you just did a video interview. Hopefully you have already sent a thank you for the interview, but if not, you can use that as an opportunity to express continued interest and discuss particularly meaningful things that came out of the interview. If you've already sent a letter/email, hold off on contacting them further. They know you are interested still.
I know it can be hard to be patient. But keep in mind that you have one admission to a great school. Even if NYU doesn't end up working out, you have a great option as your "fall back." If you do end up getting into NYU, don't forget to let Penn know you won't be attending as soon as you finalize the decision. It's considered proper form, even though they won't refund the deposit. It also pays things forward by letting them take someone off their waitlist.
I hope that you end up in the perfect place for you, and the wait is not too long.
Thanks for the response. To clarify, I did commit to attending by signing Penn's online commitment to matriculate form, which although did not say anything was "binding" stated, "WITH THE SUBMISSION OF THIS FORM, I CERTIFY THAT I AM COMMITTING TO MATRICULATE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA LAW SCHOOL. UNLESS EXEMPTED BY A SCHOLARSHIP AGREEMENT, I UNDERSTAND THAT THE $500 TUITION DEPOSIT FEE IS REQUIRED OF ALL ENROLLING STUDENTS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA LAW SCHOOL AND THAT THE FEE WILL BE APPLIED TO MY FIRST TERM TUITION BILL. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS TUITION DEPOSIT IS NONREFUNDABLE"
Does this change your thoughts on my situation?
Also, I have not sent NYU a thank you for the interview. (I have though previously sent a LOCI and letter after attending a class). If I send NYU a thank you note now to state my continued interest, am I being dishonest by not informing them that I have in fact committed to Penn? I am not sure how to structure an update/thank you email without including this information.
Thank you again!
Thanks for the reply. Depositing but keeping your options open elsewhere (and possibly double depositing) is a standard practice these days, and my interpretation of the above (as well as many prior instances in this field) suggests that you've agreed to attend, and would forfeit the money if you changed your mind (this is the price of breaking the contract, which is not unusual). But you can change your mind: No school can force you to attend, so work backwards from there (and think why they would say it's "nonrefundable"—because people change their minds).
NYU will be able to see that you've deposited at Penn at some point if NYU admits you and you deposit there—there's a report they can review that checks all schools to which an admit has deposited. You're not there yet with NYU, however, so at this point it's not an issue.
I would let NYU know that Penn has admitted you and that deadlines are looming, and request any possible update they can provide (and if they are your top choice, say so). It's also not dishonest to withhold information—you are under no obligation to answer a question that hasn't been asked.
Disclaimer: the above is provided as free advice without a close examination of the facts of your situation. I don't expect a closer examination would change anything, but it's worth noting that we aren't working directly with your apps and so there might be some details here that haven't been provided. Thanks!
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
4 posts • Page 1 of 1