I'm an undergraduate student who's had eyes set on Georgetown practically since starting undergrad. I have the GPA (3.82) and was working toward the LSAT. However, I recently found out about Boston University's Public Interest Scholarship program, and am leaning toward that as a top goal, instead. I took the June LSAT after having practiced for about four months and was averaging 165-167 on my practice tests. I, however, often experience pretty severe test anxiety, and went into the June LSAT anticipating a much lower score. Well, my gut was right and I ended up with a 155, but knew that having taken at least taken the test once would significantly lower my anxiety.
I've been studying since, and have been averaging around 167 again, but slowly building every day. I had intended to register for the September LSAT, but today when I went to do so, found the registration date had passed. I know, I should have paid more attention, but now I have concerns over my chances of admittance if I can't submit my application until December. Specifically, I am concerned about scholarship money.
The scholarship deadline for BU is January 15th, but money is awarded on a rolling basis. I run a sexual assault advocacy program at my university and engage in multiple other volunteer opportunities including a pro bono court mediation program, so I think I stand a fair chance at the scholarship if I can get my LSAT up (or at least keep at where my practice scores are). In some ways, having missed the deadline is nice - I can practice for longer and work on my application materials more, but in other ways I'm very worried. Is submitting in December too late for a standing chance at a program like this? What about for other T-14 schools, with or without scholarship money?
Thank you in advance for your help!
November LSAT Worries
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
While I cannot provide advice specific to the admissions policies of Georgetown or other Tier 1 law schools, I can give you some general advice about top law school admissions.
First, since most law schools admit applicants on a rolling basis, applying in December with a November LSAT will likely put you in the second (or third) group of applicant decisions. However, the fact that we have a November instead of a December LSAT this year is a slight bonus. Depending on when the LSAC releases November scores, you may get your applications in before the new year, well before the February deadlines of most schools. The caveat is that you'll be in the same position as the rest of the November LSAT takers. Law schools will know they're getting a new wave of applications when November scores are released.
In general, to make yourself the most competitive for scholarships, earlier applications are better. Be that as it may, on balance in your situation, your best bet may be to wait to apply with a higher LSAT score. You do not want to prejudice admissions committees with a low initial score, even if you stipulate that you will be revising your application later with your November score.
If there is a particular scholarship at Georgetown or any other school to which you are applying, you might consider reaching out to the admissions departments to express your interest in the scholarship and explain your situation. Ask whether you should wait to apply with a higher score or begin the application process with your existing scores to make yourself the most competitive for their scholarships. Consider asking for something in writing indicating they will wait to make any final decisions until they receive your November score report.
Continue with your current glass-half-full approach. You'll likely be significantly better off with a strong November score than you are with a weaker September score even with an earlier application. In the mean time, get all your ducks in a row and keep up the momentum with your LSAT prep. Please follow up with further questions.
I hope this helps!
2 posts • Page 1 of 1