to the top

#2 - Must Be True, Expansion

brcibake
LSAT Leader

What is wrong with answer choice E? I see how C Is a good fit but also E makes sense because the 3rd paragraph discusses how trade secrets can manifest themselves subconsciously and inconspicuously ( line 37).
Thank you!
Stephanie Turaj
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi brcibake!

Thanks for your question! I think you accidentally posted in the wrong thread before :). I have moved this over to the Oct. 2008 #2, which begins, "Given the passage’s content and tone, which one of the following statements...."

The correct answer for this question is A, not C, so let us know if you meant to ask about another question! :)

Thanks!
adashworth
LSAT Novice

Hello, I don't get why A is right. The passage seemed more concerned with employees and their rights, especially to move to a new job, than with corporations. I put D because it seemed right in line with lines 55-59 in that theoretically those physical items would be the easiest to detect, but ultimately it would be fruitless, just like everything else. Any explanation is appreciated, thank you.
Who Ray
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi there!

In lines 55-59, the author says that injunctions are ineffective "except" for concrete things, but answer choice D says that it is ineffective even for those concrete things. While this might be an effective rhetorical strategy, it would mean that the author is contradicting themselves, and LSAC assumes people do not do that.

Answer choice A is correct because, according to the author, injunctions are the only recourse a corporation has if an employee begins working for a competitor (line 10-15); however, these injunctions are effective only at protecting concrete pieces of corporate property—nothing else. Therefore, the best option a company has is to keep its employees because once they leave the company cannot keep control of their trade secrets.

Cheers,
Who Ray
jwheeler
LSAT Leader

What was wrong with answer choice E here? I had it narrowed down to A and E, but A felt wrong because it departed from the rest of the passage by recommending an alternate route.

For me, E made sense because the article talked about how the things you learn at a company just become part of you and your experiences. You don't consciously separate them when you've moved on to a new job, so there's no effect.
Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Jwheeler, the passage does suggest that psychological barriers are ineffective at preserving trade secrets. However, that is very different from saying that the psychological barriers have zero effect. The passage does suggest a loss of freedom in making employment decisions. The passage also does not argue that the psychological barriers are subtle. Instead, the passage argues that despite best efforts the trade secrets have become part of the employee's way of working. The passage doesn't say anything at all about the vast array of effects that could emanate from psychological barriers.

Also, just sayin', but the author doesn't know jack about what a trade secret is or how companies and courts address the topic...at least not as edited by the LSAT geniuses. But of course we must put all that aside. Terrible passage.