to the top

#13 - Must Be True, Author's Perspective

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=14208)

The correct answer choice is (E)

The answer to this Global Reference question is difficult to prephrase with specificity, but will be the
one choice that is consistent with the author’s attitude as presented in the passage.

Answer choice (A): In the final paragraph the author says that new technologies may soon provide
durable storage, proving this choice to be inaccurate.

Answer choice (B): The author does not suggest that archivists should store as much as possible, but
rather that it is important to distinguish the worthwhile from the dispensable.

Answer choice (C): The author makes no mention of, or reference to, the public’s having been
misled by manufacturers.

Answer choice (D): There is no suggestion in the passage that the importance of such distinctions
has only recently become an issue.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. In the final paragraph of the passage,
the author discusses the fact that while durability issues can perhaps be addressed, the remaining
challenge is to determine what is important to keep before it deteriorates. In line 43, the author
states, “Ideally, these decisions should be informed by an assessment of the value of each document.”
rneuman123@gmail.com
LSAT Leader

I don't see how e is relevant to the stimulus. For this reason, I chose d. E seems like too broad an assumption, as the author does not discuss future impacts over generations.
Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi!

See my answer to this post: viewtopic.php?f=504&t=9347&p=28186#p28186

And then let us know when it is time to re-visit and we can definitely help answer whatever questions you have left with this one. :)
rneuman123@gmail.com
LSAT Leader

I've got it now. The passage states that archivists are having trouble with the volume of works, but distinguishing between works was probably something that they've always done, not "only recently." The other answers don't suffice, so e would win by process of elimination. But also, e is a sound answer to grasp from the author's attitude.
snowy
LSAT Leader

Hi! I was between D and E for this one, but went with D. I was wary of the "only recently" in D, but I thought that the word "now" in line 54 was support for the recentness. Did I misunderstand that? Or is the issue with D more so that it has been a concern for longer than recently (as per D), but has now become a virtually impossible issue (as per the last sentence of the passage)?

Either way, it still feels like that level of nuance is a way smaller leap than answer choice E, which definitely sounded reasonable, but didn't have strong, clear support in the passage from my reading. Where am I going wrong with that?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

We've got no evidence in the passage that archivists haven't previously been concerned about distinguishing the dispensable from the essential, snowy. Perhaps that has been something that has plagued archivists since ancient times? What makes it so acute today is the sheer volume of material, coupled with the less durable methods for storing it that we now use. Clay tablets last a long time, while photographs and digital formats degrade relatively quickly, so the problem is getting worse. Still, it could have always been a problem, just of a lesser degree. That's why answer D is a loser.

The last paragraph, especially the last sentence, supports answer E. If archivists today cannot easily tell what matters, and if time is rapidly running out, then what they decide to save based on their best guess about what matters will impact how future generations view and understand us. They will likely assume that we valued the things that we saved, and did not value as much the things that are lost. Much like how we view past civilizations through the lens of what we have of theirs, future generations will view us that way. Our "assessment of the value of each document" will impact what is saved and what is not.
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam