to the top

#20 - A poem is any work of art that exploits some of the

gen2871
LSAT Leader

Hi dear LSAT Masters:

I got it wrong because I failed to recognized the biconditional relationship. Now that I understand the correct way of drawing the diagrams are as followings:

(WOA + Mc of L) :dbl: P
(WOA + L, ~mc) :dbl: N
(WOA + Mc of s, ~L) :dbl: S
(~WOA + Mc of L) :dbl: L

and combine first and second premise === N :arrow: (WOA + L ~Mc) + (WOA + Mc of L) :arrow: P
[N (Mc + L) :arrow: WOA] :arrow: N + P gives us the correct answer cho.

My question is how am I gonna be able to detect the biconditional as soon as I see one? I missed few other questions that involves biconditional relationships.

Thank you for advising. Looking forward to hearing back from any of the experts.
Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

gen,

Only the first statement is a biconditional. It is so because it is providing a definition of a poem. In other words, all poems have these qualities, and anything with these qualities is a poem. So a thing is a poem if and only if it has these qualities.

The second statement is not even a conditional, because it says what novels "may" be and what they "usually" lack. Conditionals are absolute statements.

The third statement again lacks the requisite necessity to count as a conditional.

The fourth statement, about limericks, contains a conditional (not a biconditional), but the part about "may exploit" is not a conditional, as that again lacks the requisite necessity. Further, you can't just drop that and still have a biconditional; if so, you'd be saying something like "a thing is a limerick if and only if it's not a work of art," which is not what that statement is saying. Instead, it's a conditional: "if something is a limerick, it's not a work of art."

Answer choice (C) then just depends on the first sentence. If a novel has the qualities sufficient to make something a poem, then it's a novel and a poem.

I think fully diagramming everything here will take more time than it's worth. Pay more attention to the connections between absolute statements. If you wanted to diagram, this would work:

(WOA + MCoL) :dbl: P

N :most: MCoL

S :most: MCoL

L :dblline: A

The "may" statements aren't even diagrammed here because I don't even know if anything that may be true IS true, even in some cases. So I would hesitate to diagram them even as the very weak A :some: B.

Again, I don't think the diagramming is as helpful as a more intuitive understanding of the actual English expressions used.

Robert Carroll