to the top

#14 - Among a sample of diverse coins from an unfamiliar

Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi rameday,

Let's think about what this statement means in conditional terms:

None of them have heads on both sides

So, if a coin has a head on one side, it does not have a head on the other side:

Head on one side :arrow: NO Head on the other side

When combined with the other conditional statement in the stimulus, we can prove that answer choice (D) states a contrapositive claim.

Just a reminder: this question - as well as every other question from your Homework - is explained on the Online Student Center.

Thanks!
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
Blueballoon5%
LSAT Master

How do I translate answer C into a conditional statement: "None of those with a tree on one side have an explorer's head on the other." What does the "none" modify in this sentence?
Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hello, Blueballoon,

C could become a conditional statement like "If a coin has a tree on one side, it does not have an explorer's head on the other." That is the same as saying that no coins with a tree on one side have an explorer's head on the other. The "none" means "no coins that have a tree on one side".

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
skiiam
LSAT Novice

Could you explain why "none" modifies the necessary, as in (C) and (E) rather than the sufficient in this case (even though it looks like none is modifying the sufficient)?

I continue to make this mistake and no sure what I'm doing wrong. I understand order of conditions does not matter. But I still don't understand why none/no modifies the necessary condition.

Another similar problem: "But no expert is certain of being able to solve someone else's problem"
The answer is: E -> ~SSEP.
But I wrote ~E -> SSEP.

How do I avoid this mistake?
Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hey skiiam,

Thanks for your response--that's a great question, the mistake you mentioned is a very common one. For the example you brought up, try changing the sentence to an "if...then" statement; it may quickly become much more clear:

No expert can be certain.

What are they really saying? if you're an expert, you can't be certain!

Expert :arrow: certain

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
Steve Stein
kim4956
LSAT Apprentice

Continuing the discussion, what's the difference btwn answer choices (c) and (d)?

Thanks!
Kim
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Kim,

From the stimulus, we know the following: each face of any coin has one of the following: JH, EH, B, T. According to the last sentence, the following conditional relationships can be established:

JH :dblline: EH
JH :dblline: JH
EH :dblline: EH
JH :arrow: T

Answer choice (C) states that no coin with a T on one side has EH on the other:

T :dblline: EH

We cannot prove that to be true. Note that having a T on one side does not mean that you need to have JH on the other (that would be a Mistaken Reversal of the last rule). So, it's entirely possible that some coins with a T on one side have EH on the other.

Answer choice (D) states that none of those with a B on one side have a JH on the other:

B :dblline: JH

This is provably true. From the last rule, we know that any coin with a JH on one side must have a T on the other, not B. Therefore, answer choice (D) must be true and is therefore correct.

Let me know if this answers you question.

Thanks!
Nikki Siclunov
Blueballoon5%
LSAT Master

Lucas Moreau wrote:Hello, Blueballoon,

C could become a conditional statement like "If a coin has a tree on one side, it does not have an explorer's head on the other." That is the same as saying that no coins with a tree on one side have an explorer's head on the other. The "none" means "no coins that have a tree on one side".

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau

Thanks Lucas!