to the top

#7 - In 1955, legislation in a certain country gave the

lsat2016
LSAT Leader

Nikki Siclunov wrote:Of course, anything is possible - which is precisely why answer choice (E) is incorrect.

Thanks,

Ok! So does the fact that an answer choice is ambiguous a valid reason for eliminating an answer choice?
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

If the implications of the answer are ambiguous, i.e. if the answer choice can either weaken or strengthen the argument depending on other, unknown factors, then yes - I'd say this is a good reason to eliminate it.

Thanks!
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
lsat2016
LSAT Leader

Nikki Siclunov wrote:If the implications of the answer are ambiguous

Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick responses!! I had a similar question regarding PT 71 section 1 #12 that I posted to this forum and I would be so thankful if you could answer it!!

Thanks
chian9010
LSAT Leader

Nikki Siclunov wrote:Hi lsat2016,

Welcome to the Forum!! :-D

There is no reason to suspect that (A) weakens the argument. The argument is essentially causal: the author observes a decrease in likelihood of serious injury since 1955, which coincides with the introduction of the new legislation. From this, the author concludes that the new legislation was responsible for the increased worker safety:

..... ..... ..... Cause ..... ..... Effect

..... New Legislation :arrow: Increased safety

This may be so, but answer choice (A) presents an alternative cause: technological innovation! This is an alternative cause that could easily explain the increased worker safety, weakening the argument.

Answer choice (E), by contrast, has no relation to this causal argument. Maybe workplace safety conditions have improved across all industries - so what? This could be the result of the same legislation that the author believes improved worker safety in the high-risk industries. If anything, since the legislation does not appear to target high-risk industries in particular, answer choice (E) can easily be interpreted as strengthening the conclusion of the argument.

Hope this helps!

I understand why A is the correct answer. However, if we assume E is talking about global industries (Not only within the certain country). Would this answer choice choice weaken the argument?
Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Chian,

Changing the answer in the way you suggest does not weaken the claim that the explanation in that country is its legislative changes, especially since that could be the explanation in the other countries as well.