to the top

#18 - Despite the efforts of a small minority of graduate

Nina
LSAT Leader

I was so easily enticed by the word "majority" and wrongly chose answer C.

As for the correct answer E, does the "mere lack of approval" refers to the fact in stimulus that since the majority remain unaware, we cannot know whether they prove or disapprove of the attempt?

Many Thanks!
Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hey Nina,

You got it--based on the information provided in the stimulus, we don't have evidence of approval on the part of most students, and the author acts as though this means that most students actively disapprove.

I hope that's helpful!

~Steve
Steve Stein
PowerScore Test Preparation
Nina
LSAT Leader

Thanks, Steve!
Kdup
LSAT Leader

Hi Powerscore,

So, I am a little confused by the correct answer to this question. After reading the stimulus, I isolated the conclusion that " Graduate students at the univ. shouldn't unionize, since the majority of them obviously disprove of the attempt. " This conclusion is based on the fact that the majority don't know about it. So, I prephrased that answer to say something along the lines that just because a majority of people don't know about something, it does not meant that what is being presented is not a good ideal. So, for me "C" mirrored that. Can you help explain where my reasoning went wrong?
Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Answer choice (C) states that the speaker's conclusion is based on the fact that the majority of students are not aware of the unionization attempt. This mischaracterizes the argument and ignores the final statement of the stimulus.

The author makes a jump from stating that the majority are not aware, to stating that the majority disapprove. The conclusion is based on this final premise, not the initial one.

While it would be a flaw to presume that something is not good because a majority are unaware of it, the speaker's line of argument does not rely on this reasoning. This is a common incorrect answer choice: although it states what would be a flaw in another argument, the specific flaw was not in this stimulus. The correct answer choice must describe a flaw and must describe a flaw that was present in the stimulus.

Answer choice (E) correctly states that the author "blurred the line" between or made a jump from stating that the majority are unaware to stating that the majority disapprove.
LSAT2018
LSAT Master

So the part about those who are aware is placed to distract you from seeing the flaw? The part about the majority of graduate students being unaware and the majority of students disapproving are placed so far apart!

This is also like Errors in the Use of Evidence?