to the top

September 8th, 2018 LSAT Information and Discussion

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Adam4551 wrote:I dont know how to feel about this exam. It wasnt hard but I defintely would not say it was simple. A few questions here and there would throw off my momentum in LR but overall it was good for me (fingers crossed). RC has been my weakest section all throughout my preparation but i feel like I had a grasp on this one. However where i messed up was timing myself, Ive never once ran out of time on my practice exams, id even have time to look over my questions at the end. Yet today on RC i was still in the PASSAGE when 5 minutes were remaining. Normally when theres 5 minutes remaining im already at the LAST 2 questions. I severely overestimated how much time I had on RC and got too caught up in certain questions. Lastly, LG was very easy for me. Not much problem for me there. Its that RC that will make or break my score and im terrified.

3 weeks cant come soon enough

Hey Adam,

You know, even the LSATs with the "best" scales are never easy. At least, very few people think the idea of sitting there for 4 hours under time pressure with few breaks is an easy experience :-D And, it's that time pressure that throws off how we normally perform in practice. I hope that despite what happened, it still turns out well for you!

Best news: even if RC did kill you, you can come back and retake and wipe away any prior, lower score. Law schools only care about the high score these days!

Let's hope it went well!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

prime wrote:Can I ask where that's coming from? the prediction, not what it means

Sure! I don't have a lot of time to explain it in detail right now, but it's based on years of experience, reports from instructors who took the exam, discussions with students we work with, and general comments I see. We sift a ton of info and then begin narrowing down the possible range. We've gotten quite good at it over time, and we are almost always right on the nose or off by at most one.

I hope that helps!
Dave Killoran
thesamasaurus
LSAT Novice

My mind has totally gone blank, but I had LR,RC,LR,LR,AR

26 26 25 were my LR sections. litterally cant remember which questions were on section 1 and which were on section 3.

Is there any way to know which section of my first two LR was experimental without remembering any of the questions? I felt like the third was much harder, especially around 19-21.
deck1134
LSAT Master

Obviously I'm not an expert like Dave, but after taking all of the PTs this definitely felt like a -10 curve. Do we know what June or July were?

The games were too standard to have a -12 or -13. For what it's worth I thought that the reading comp was def. above average in difficulty. I've found that they only crank it to -11 or more if the games are weird, or if the LR is particularly nasty, which this certainly was not. I just screwed it up too much.

Can someone PM me if they thought they got the venus question?

Also @DaveKilloran I only noticed 2 or 3 MUST BE TRUE questions on the whole test. All others were MSS. Two easy justifies (#9 and #11).

And @thes For what it's worth I found the 2nd LR section (w/ 25) to get nasty on questions 18, 19 (bad parallel flaw) and 20. I guessed on 19 after narrowing it down to 3 (plumbers, mayors, etc). If that sounds right to you, then that was probably the scored one

I'm putting myself in the high 160s for now, will amend if I get feedback on the venus question or fourth game.
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

deck1134 wrote:Obviously I'm not an expert like Dave, but after taking all of the PTs this definitely felt like a -10 curve. Do we know what June or July were?

If you've taken all the PTs, you have more than enough experience to make a solid estimation. Glad we're on the same page!

deck1134 wrote:Also @DaveKilloran I only noticed 2 or 3 MUST BE TRUE questions on the whole test. All others were MSS. Two easy justifies (#9 and #11).

Which is right on trend. At least part of this exam came from the December 2017 Sabbath LSAT, so I'd bet most of the rest was from recent exams too. Their test/section reuse cycle has reached the shortest period since I've been doing this, so it's not unexpected this would be moving in this direction.
Dave Killoran
prime
LSAT Novice

I definitely thought that the RC was harder than average, I'm usually a RC crusher and I was running out of time on the last passage, maybe it being my 1st section had something to do with it. :-?
Last edited by prime on Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deck1134
LSAT Master

I've always found those -10s to be brutal for me. I'm thinking about canceling and retaking. Not a pretty last game. If I missed 3 on Games, that could really mess up my score!

Maybe I'm wrong and it's a -11, but I don't think so. not with those games. Any thoughts Dave or Jon?

Also it was 2 LR about planets, one about Venus winds/volcanoes and one about jupiter. Jupiter question was easyish, venus was NOT.
Last edited by deck1134 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deck1134
LSAT Master

prime wrote:I definitely thought that the RC was harder than average, I'm usually an RC crusher and I was running out of time on the last passage, maybe it is my 1st section had something to do with it. :-?

@Prime, I felt that the first RC passage was DEATH. Really a nasty wake up at 8:30 in the morning. I'm not sure how that will affect the curve exactly, but as I mentioned to @DaveKilloran it seems that even with hard RC the curve stays static. It seems there are too many freaky reading comp folks who can get 27/27 no problem even if it is really hard. Which sucks for people like me who can go 26/27 or 25/27, but need a curve to make up for it.

Dave, does this seem like a reasonable appraisal? (I'm hoping you say no, because I could use the extra points, but I think I'm right on this one).
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

deck1134 wrote:
prime wrote:I definitely thought that the RC was harder than average, I'm usually an RC crusher and I was running out of time on the last passage, maybe it is my 1st section had something to do with it. :-?

@Prime, I felt that the first RC passage was DEATH. Really a nasty wake up at 8:30 in the morning. I'm not sure how that will affect the curve exactly, but as I mentioned to @DaveKilloran it seems that even with hard RC the curve stays static. It seems there are too many freaky reading comp folks who can get 27/27 no problem even if it is really hard. Which sucks for people like me who can go 26/27 or 25/27, but need a curve to make up for it.

Dave, does this seem like a reasonable appraisal? (I'm hoping you say no, because I could use the extra points, but I think I'm right on this one).

A hard RC can move the curve, but usually it has to be hard enough that people are freaking about it. "Regular" difficulty (i.e., not spectacularly hard) doesn't seem to have a great effect. LG, on the other hand, has an outsize effect on scaling.
Dave Killoran
Kcm28
LSAT Apprentice

I had RC LR LG LG LR. I did really good on the 1st LG, but really bad on the 2nd. Can someone confirm that the exp LG had a game about 3 levels? That’s the only one I remember from the first LG. It was the 4th game for me. I’m probably going to cancel if you can confirm this.

Thanks.