LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Lawheart
|
I keep hearing this thing or notion about patterns. I've just started my intense studying 2 weeks ago. I had a 137 diagnostic. (I would love a 160 on Sept 8th). So what exactly is a pattern on an LSAT and how do I spot it?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lawheart,

Congrats on getting started! Patterns come in all forms related to the LSAT, and there are patterns in the way they present ideas, in wrong answers, in the mistakes you make, even in certain Logic Games. But ultimately, a lot of the talk is about spotting patterns in LR and RC stimuli, which involves seeing the piece that is out of place (that is out of sync with the rest of the information). Good test takers learn how LSAC phrases ideas (this comes from practice with the questions and learning methods), and then they can jump on things that are out-of-pattern extremely quickly.

For now, don't worry too much about patterns—your understanding of them will come later, as you see more questions. Instead, focus on learning the concepts and ideas used by the test makers, and watching carefully for how they phrase ideas. And, track every mistake you make in a log, noting the question, the type, and why you missed it. This will help immensely later on when you want to spot the patterns in your own misses!

We're here to help if you need us. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.