to the top

Setup and Rule Diagrams

CEF
LSAT Apprentice

Hi,

Can you please explain what kind of set up would be best on this game? Also, I struggled with #8, #10, & #11 but I think they may have been for lack of understanding the game. If you could please explain I would appreciate it!
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi CEF,

This is an unusual game, because it is not immediately clear how many messages we're dealing with. So, first you need to figure this out. Each of 3 associates leaves at least one, but no more than two, messages. The minimum number of messages is therefore 3, and the maximum - 6. However, since the first and the last messages are from the same person, clearly we cannot have only 3 messages left. Therefore, we must have either 4, 5, or 6.

Given that Lula leaves neither the first nor the last messages, we have only H and J to leave these two messages. This provides us with two possibilities for each of the 3 numerical distributions:

4 messages:

J _ _ J

H _ _ H

5 messages:

J _ _ _ J

H _ _ _ H

6 messages:

J _ _ _ _ J

H _ _ _ _ H

The last two rules should be helpful in filling in some of the empty spaces :-) Try it out.
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
asalusti
LSAT Novice

What is the setup for these two games? I think I completely misinterpreted the 2nd game.

Could someone show me what the set up for these games would look like?

Thanks
-Alaina
Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Alaina,

Thanks for posting! For this game, we know we have between 4 and 6 slots, so I might do something like this:

____ ____ ____ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____

We know there will be slots 1-3 and then a last slot; we may or may not have two additional slots in between those. You'd want to indicate in your diagram that the first and last slots will be the same, and will not be L. We also know there will be only one HJ block, so I'd add that to the diagram. You also want to make sure to include that J can only be in one of the first three slots. That's all there is to work with here; the rest of the game is really just tackling the individual questions. Not a lot of inferences!
srcline@noctrl.edu
LSAT Master

Hello David,

I understand the set up and the numerical distribution , but I am lost on the inferences and none of the questions are making sense to me. Can you please explain some of these?

Thankyou
Sarah
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Sarah,

The optimal way to approach this game is by using the three numerical distributions to create a total of six templates: three templates where J is first and last, and three where H is first and last. See my explanation above. Each template is quite limited by the simple fact that there are only three variables we can work with, none of which can repeat more than twice. The only "inference" is that there cannot be only 3 messages, and also that in a 4-message setup, L can only leave one message.

Please review my explanation above and let me know if it helps you get started.

Thanks,
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
LSAT2018
LSAT Master

On your classifications this game is listed as Basic Linear: Partially Defined, Numerical Distribution, Identify the Templates. I was wondering if a Basic Linear/Partially Defined classification is just a Linear/Grouping combination game?