LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 medialaw111516
|
I understand why E is correct, but I thought the last part about the misguided nature was too strong to be part of a MP argument. Can anyone explain why it's ok here. I know the author did not agree with Bordwell's inclusion of musical theater, but misguided seemed like a trap to me
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Think about the structure of this passage, medialaw. How did the author build it? It starts with an introduction to Bordwell's analysis of films from a certain period. It then goes on to note something that doesn't seem to fit that analysis (musicals of the 30s). The author asks a question - can those exceptions fit within Bordwell's framework? Next, the author tells us how Bordwell attempts to do just that. Finally, the author tells us that Bordwell is wrong, and that he is just dodging the question. The exception cannot be reconciled with the hypothesis, and the author suggests that Bordwell and others should try a different approach.

Looked at structurally, it's pretty clearly an argument, and the author's conclusion to that argument is that Bordwell is wrong and needs to revise his approach. Sure, it came all the way at the end, but that's the way a lot of arguments work! This is no different than a lot of LR stimuli. "Misguided" is on point here - Bordwell has gone about things the wrong way and needs to try again.
 goingslow
|
Hi there! Would you please explain why (B) and (D) are wrong? Thank you!

Specifically, what's wrong with the "because they do not depict events in chronological order" part in (B)?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
goingslow,

There is no indication that Busby Berkeley’s musicals did not depict events in chronological order.

Bordwell thought Busby Berkeley’s musicals were classical and attempted to explain how they seemed to violate the requirement of realism.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.