#11 - Global Reference, Author's Perspective, Must Be True

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Please post your questions below!
knutson.m
LSAT Novice

Hi.

I picked answer choice B and I can't figure out why D is the correct answer here.
Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Knutson.m!

This one was definitely tricky, and it crucially depends on whose perspective we are being asked about. The definition from Bordwell in the first paragraph defines the style as 'being governed by straightforward narrative considerations,' and that the technical elements are employed to tell a straightforward story.

The author of the passage, however, highlights the musicals of the 1930s as a deviation from that alleged straightforward filmmaking style. The author details how in these musicals, 'filmmaking techniques are used not to advance a narrative but as a respite from narrative,' and that the 'editing and camera movement function not to help tell a story but to manipulate images into intricate patterns.' This sounds as the author is describing these techniques as decidedly not 'simplistic.'

What the author spends most of their focus on is how the audience comes to accept these strange deviations from the straightforward narratives of typical Classic era films. Near the bottom of the passage, the author states that the viewer cannot remain unfazed by the break in the film's 'reality,' but that 'would be worthwhile for scholars like Bordwell to first consider how viewers process cinematic images and eventually come to accept them as conventions before generalizing about the realism of certain film styles.'

This is used to support the author's implied position that audiences have begun to accept the conventions of the musical films from the 1930s due mostly to their acceptance and familiarity with the visual diversions so prevalent in the musical theatre that preceded motion pictures.

Keeping in mind that the question asks for what the author, not Bordwell, would agree with, (D) becomes the correct response. This one was pretty nit-picky, I hope that this helped to clear it up!