to the top

#24 - Meteorologist: The number of tornadoes reported annual

Administrator
LSAT Legend

Please post your questions below! Thank you!
DJYoungCorduroy
LSAT Apprentice

I chose E...I didn't like it, but I didn't like anything else either.

I think reading through them the first time, I thought C fell outside of the scope of the argument. But I guess that per se doesn't matter...since it is a strengthen question, we can, and often do, bring in outside info to strengthen the argument.

But what is actually the thinking behind C? Is it that if it is only small tornadoes accounting for the doubling in reports, that better detection mechanisms would presumably allow us to detect smaller and smaller tornadoes?

Please offer your sagely guidance.

Thanks,
Young Cord
James Finch
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Young Cord,

In order to answer your question, let's break down the argument being made in the stimulus. We are presented with a paradox that the meteorologist attempts to resolve by using causal reasoning, in order to prove an effect.

Paradox: Twice the number tornadoes are being reported today than in the 50's, but same number of tornadoes are actually occurring.

Cause: Better technology.

Effect/Resolution to Paradox: Greater % of tornadoes being reported.

And we are asked to strengthen that causal link. Answer choice (C) does this by stating that the same number of medium and large tornadoes are being reported today as in the 50's, which leaves small tornadoes to make up the difference. Logically, the larger tornadoes would have been the ones most likely to have been reported in the 50's, and the smaller tornadoes would be the ones that only modern technology would notice. Now this doesn't 100% prove the conclusion (it could simply be that there are more small tornadoes and the same number of larger ones today) but it does help make it more likely to be true, which is all that is required of a correct Strengthen question answer choice.

Hope this clears things up!
DJYoungCorduroy
LSAT Apprentice

Ok scool thanks!