to the top

#21 - Specific Reference, Parallel

Administrator
LSAT Legend

Please post your questions below!
lathlee
LSAT Destroyer

This SR, Parallel which is rather a rare question type, i honestly don't know the correct process of finding the right answer. Here's my feeble attempt to prephrase to the question:

"without constraints, the judgeS would be free to do whatever they think is great and - should be done according to their personal preference regardless of what others think or the rules state as long as my preference doesnt violate the rules."

Two question: 1. is my prephrase - valid- enough?
2. I thought D matches with my prephrase than B even though B also was my second choice that matches my prephrase.
joewoo198256
LSAT Novice

lathlee wrote:This SR, Parallel which is rather a rare question type, i honestly don't know the correct process of finding the right answer. Here's my feeble attempt to prephrase to the question:

"without constraints, the judgeS would be free to do whatever they think is great and - should be done according to their personal preference regardless of what others think or the rules state as long as my preference doesnt violate the rules."

Two question: 1. is my prephrase - valid- enough?
2. I thought D matches with my prephrase than B even though B also was my second choice that matches my prephrase.

I think the key is to understand: in the original sentence, candor is the prerequisite for all other constraints on abuse of judicial power. So do we have a choice that mimic the relationship between candor and all other constraints? Choice C does the job: data accuracy is the prerequisite for all other conditions such as relevance and sufficiency. Bingo!
Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

JoeWoo and Lathlee,

Excellent job! Yes, the key element to your prephrase is to identify the "prerequisite" element. The credited response must have a goal or overarching situation that requires that some prerequisite be met.

In the original sentence in the passage we could formulate this as follows:

"In order for us to have [restraints on the abuse of judicial power], we must have the prerequisite [judicial candor]."

Notice now how this syncs up with the credited response:

"In order for us to have [data supporting a scientific theory], we must have the prerequisite [data accuracy]."

Good job, JoeWoo and Lathlee!
lilmissunshine
LSAT Leader

Hello,

Could you explain why (A) is wrong? Can we say "representative selection" is "prerequisite" for verdicts to be trusted to be unbiased? Thanks a lot!