LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below! Thank you!
 outlawbb
|
Can you please post the setup for this game?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Outlaw,

It's coming, slowly but surely. We are in the middle of posting thousands of question explanations, and with LG often that takes longer because they are so graphically heavy. I'm not sure where we are on this particular test though, but we'll do what we can. Thanks!
 dripgal
|
Hello!

I'm stuck on the setup of this game. I do get that it is a Grouping-Fixed Balanced Game, however, my setup is quite messy:

e w
1 _ _
2 _ _
3 _ _

There would be a crossed-out s (Sales) under east and a crossed-out u (Utilization) under west. Where do I go from here for Rules 3 and 4? How exactly do I diagram them without having a messy setup?

Thank you so much!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
dr,

I don't have any real issue with that setup. You can choose the numbers to be horizontal or vertical, and, given that you chose the numbers to be vertical, the theaters can represent either column. I think it's more intuitive to put West on the left and East on the right, since that's how they'd be on a typical map, but it's actually completely arbitrary. As long as you don't unconsciously shift perspective while doing the game, that works.

Now, with your base as you have it, the rules you're talking about are sequencing rules. The sequencing part of your diagram is vertical, with the earliest time on top, so your sequencing rules should also be vertical. The attached picture is how I would represent those. Note it's like any sequencing relationship, but with the order going vertically instead of horizontally.

Note that this is, in fact, a Linear Game. There's an order to the hours, and the rules exploit that order.

Robert Carroll
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 lsatquestions
|
Since only M, S, and U can be at 1pm, can you split the game into 3 templates?

1) G O/P
U P/O
M S

2) O/P
M/G
U S

3) with UM at 1pm, ew respectively
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You can! I tried them out and found them to be incredibly helpful, more than I expected (and I am a self-confessed template junkie), and I ended up blowing through the questions in about a minute and a half total. The right answers were immediately, obviously right, so much so that I felt little need to check the remaining answers.

Did you find it to be as successful as I did? I hope so! I love that!
 Lu_na_
|
Can you share your templates and how you got them?
I see why M, U and S can only go first but not the rest...

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sure, Lu_na_ !

First, to clarify, O and P cannot be at 1 because they must be later than M, and G cannot be at 1 because it's later than U. That's why the only ones eligible to be at 1 are M, S, and U. That makes three possible pairs at 1, and the templates go like this:

1: M and S at 1 puts M in the East and S in the West. U has to be at 2 in the East. G has to be at 3, in either theater, while O and P are interchangeable, with one of them at 2 in the West and the other in either theater at 3. Something like

M U _
S O/P _

2: M and U at 1 means U in the East and M in the West. That one is pretty open, so long as S is somewhere in the West, with O, P, and G filling the three remaining slots any which way you like.

U _ _
M S/ /S

3: U and S at 1 puts U in the East and S in the West. M and G are interchangeable in the two 2pm slots, while O and P are interchangeable in the two 3pm slots (since they have to both be after M)

U G/M O/P
S M/G P/O

That second template is pretty open, but there's still a lot of info here to help tackle the questions!
 anonymous123
|
Why is the witnesses game in PT 82 considered grouping/linear but the east/west game is advanced linear?

What are key things we can look out for to know how to set up a game based upon category from just reading the stem...I though the east/west game was a grouping/linear game ...why isn't it?

What makes the witnesses game a grouping game?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.