LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 Lourdiana
|
Good Evening - for this replacement type of question - I know the test makers purposely put these time consuming questions last because it takes up a bit more time and makes you anxious to start on the next problem set (which can generally lead you to answering incorrectly). For this specific one, was there a short cut to use to find the answer? I actually left this answer blank by mistake because I ran out of time and was going thru each option. Any shortcuts?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lourdiana,

I approached this question as a straight cannot be true question. Remember that no matter what happens, all the companies will have the same "value" of buildings. We can treat a class one building as being worth 1.00, a class two as 0.50 and a class three as 0.25. With those values, all three companies start with the same value of buildings, and trades will result in the companies having the same value after the trade.

So when I went through the answer choices, I looked for the answer choice that ended with a different amount than the starting amount.

Answer choice (A) lists three class two buildings, which would equal 1.50, the starting amount. That's fine.
Answer choice (B) lists a class one building and a class two building, which equals 1.50. Still fine.
Answer choice (C) lists three class two buildings, which would equal 1.50, All good.
Answer choice (D) is the correct answer. It lists a class one and a class three which equal 1.25. Buzz! This one doesn't match the starting value.
Answer choice (E) lists lists a class one building and a class two building, which equals 1.50. This one is ok too.

I don't really care who the owners of the building are, because the owners are interchangeable in this game.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 jk3530
|
Hi,

I was able to answer D for this question.. but I was struggling to answer why B would be valid.
It says that each trade must be of exactly one of the three kinds, which means there are no repeats right?

But B would require repeats, either of two trades of the same class, or two trades of trading 1 building for two class 2 buildings.

Or does that mean we CAN repeat these trades..?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jk3530!

Yes, you can repeat trades. The language only states that "Each trade must be of exactly one of the following three kinds." That just means that a trade must accord to one of the three rules that are given in the game. There's nothing from that language that implies that multiple trades cannot occur. Indeed, this point is made further by the phrasing of this particular question, which asks what cannot be true "no matter how many trades are made," language which contemplates multiple trades.

Since this is question asking what cannot be true, that means the four incorrect answer choices could be true. Answer choice (B) could be true, via two trades. Southco could trade the Flores Tower for RealProp's Garza Tower and trade the Lynch Building for Trustcorp's Meyer Building.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.