to the top

All 9 Solutions Discussed - Video Explanation

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

An examination of each possible solution for September 2016's toughest game.

Jon Denning
PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
alberto
LSAT Leader

Mr. Jon, this is Alberto.
Thank you for this video it has been liberating and helpful. I hope to perform well in June 2019, very nervous now, but I will be fine.
I appreciate your candor and simply way to explain the ultimate convoluted.( Not condescending at all).
It made my study a lot better in terms of how to approach situations and, knowing that time to resolve will not be a friend indeed. Thank you and good weekend.
alberto
LSAT Leader

Good afternoon its Alberto Mr. Jon. Its Palm Sunday April 14th 2019 and I been studying off and on today and an epiphany hit me.
I remember what you and Mr. Dave stated in your previous Podcast Episode 8 I believe the Outliers in which you both mentioned about not being passive but actively engage in Logic Games and everything else, anticipate what will happen and could occur. I thank you about how to resolve the computer virius game. But I beg to differ that us students will not see such again because the LSAC makers is ever evolving to heights of abstract convolution. So, As my mother stated use the chess move predetermine predict what could happen next: What if a similar game comes in the future in which a particular virus is known and it infects insiduously 2 computer but not known the etiology of where it began? Does it matter? And this virus infects not consecutively but ever other computer and ends with being a different virus than what caused the cascade in the first place? Like the way you Mr. Jon demonstrated how to decipher a way to draw and answer the questions, with the sept. 2016 preptest 79, virus problem, that I listern to April 13th,thank you again it helped alot, well, the question is would I used a similiar method or used a totally different approach using other techniques you and Mr. Dave taught thoroughly? I know I can be an enigma at times, but at least I am trying to overcome my fear and frustration. Indeed, if I did not asked this hypothetical question then me, being a sketch artist I would had drew what I was stating and that would not be appropriate or professional in the scheme of things.
My main point is any of these unusual or odd games that we all think will not be seen I learned the hard way do not take anything for granted, strong possibilites can occur. I hope you can answer and thank you both Mr. Jon and Mr. Dave for being helpful. (I apologize for the misspellings if present, I am over tired from studying, sick,and nervous,thanks).
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

I think you (and your wise mother) have a point, Alberto! I think there is some chance that in the future the authors might again use the same sort of ideas tested in this game. However, it is completely unlikely that they will use similar details - like a computer virus - because that's just not the way they work. Compare, for example, the second game from October 2001 (cars with three options) to the third game from December 2005 (technicians repairing machines). These two games are, at their core, the same game, with very similar rules and inferences and also some similar questions. They took the older game and dressed it up with new details!

Could something like that happen with the Computer Virus game, or the one from December 2015 about employees picking offices, or the December 2016 game about corporations trading buildings? Of course it could! So you should learn from the lessons of prior games so that when and if you see something similar in the future, you have some familiarity with how to approach it. That doesn't mean that you must diagram every solution, as Jon did in this video, and in fact he would probably tell you that that is probably not the way to handle this game in real time on an actual test, but rather a way to dissect the game afterwards to learn from it. In fact, he says that right at the beginning of the video - this is NOT the way to do this game on the actual test, but a learning experience.

If by some chance you get a game like this one on your test - something that looks sort of like a Pure Sequencing game, but with uncertainty about where some of the variables belong in the order and no clear idea about whether there are possible simultaneous events, plus options for "either this or that is just before this other thing" - then you should consider tackling it with the same sort of approach that we took in our setup video, which is in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=12662

Finally, don't become obsessed with this game, or any other oddball game from the last 5 years or so. Focus your primary efforts on becoming a master of the most common game types, because you can be confident that at least three of your tested games will fall into those categories, and probably all four of them will. If you happen to get an oddball, it will most likely not look like this one, or any of the others, but will instead be some fresh hell we've not yet encountered. If that happens, save that game for last, do the list question using the "rule by rule" method to get a better understanding of how the rules interact and how to set it up, and then do your best with it from there.

Good luck!
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam
alberto
LSAT Leader

Mr. Adam thank you! Its Alberto. What you stated about other odd ball and disconcerting games I have looked at and costantly review the linear, advance linear, pure sequencing(I hate) grouping and the hybrid and, I am trying hard and feel humbled, but I am tenacious and extremely determined, hence. I will take all advice from all you intelligent and thoughtful instructors and I appreciate this and I will not disappoint you; Indeed, I am nervous but deliberate in my quest to attend Law school period.I was thinking outside the box as Mr.Jon and Mr. Dave suggested to be engage and be active and furthermore, not to allow the game to rule or dictate me passively, but take control, and be confident in the methodology taught and thereby execute,thus.I realize only thru review and hard work, I pray to succeed. I thank you for the answer Mr. Adam.