LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 deck1134
|
Could we get an explanation for why 23 is C and not B? In my view "sociocultural context" is not the same as "historical context"
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi deck1134,
Answer C comes from Herbert's focus which is what the question is about: "In a new work illustrating this trend, Robert L. Herbert dissociates himself from formalists whose preoccupation with the stylistic features of Impressionist painting has, in Herbert's view, left the history out of art history; his aim is to (20) restore Impressionist paintings "to their sociocultural context." "

Answer B focuses more on what the author thought of Herbert's focus, which is not what the question is trying to address.
Hope that helps!
-Malila
 gam19i@fsu.edu
|
I'm not sure why "A" is incorrect. It seems like Herbert's redefinition was motivated due to the " unchallenged" literature on stylistic innovations.

My thought is that the question is more alluding to Herbert's specific goals but I'm not sure.
 gam19i@fsu.edu
|
gam19i@fsu.edu wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:01 pm I'm not sure why "A" is incorrect. It seems like Herbert's redefinition was motivated due to the " unchallenged" literature on stylistic innovations.

My thought is that the question is more alluding to Herbert's specific goals but I'm not sure.
Also how do we know that the question is specifically referencing what seem to be goals as opposed to motivations for working towards those goals.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi gam,

There are two different alternatives to Herbert that the passage discusses. First, there's the traditional form/style analysis of Impressionism, which answer choice (A) addresses. However, there was a second analysis style described in the first two paragraphs that answer choice (A) does not adequately address. The passage describes a modern concern about the unequal treatment Impressionist painters gave women and workers and the ways in which they were left out of the idyllic paintings. It is that second concern that Herbert's work mainly addresses "attempting to place Impressionist paintings in their proper historical context."

I'm not sure I understand your question about goals. The question is about what his work resulted FROM, not what his goals were. Please feel free to ask further questions on this if I'm off base.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.