LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 NatashaI
|
Hello,

I am in a little bit of a conundrum and I am debating on what my the best move would be.

I was supposed to take the LSAT back in October, but due to difficulties securing all the testing accommodations that i required, my exam was postponed to November. I figured this would be alright, since I would still be able to submit completed applications to law school by Christmas. So I took the exam for my first time in November and I received a pretty low score. I of course ended up canceling that score.

At this point, I decided to take the exam again in January (I took it on 1/12/24). I figured I could still submit my applications by Christmas pending the test score. I unfortunately had to undergo emergency surgery in December, so this plan to submit all other elements of my application by Christmas did not work out. After speaking with admissions counselors for the schools I am applying to, I confirmed that by applying in January would still be alright. If anything they told me I would now fall into the middle of the admissions cycle.

I had to undergo a second emergency surgery four days before my January LSAT. This was obviously not part of my revised plan, but I went ahead and took the test anyways. While there were a couple periods during the exam in which I did not feel at my best (perhaps the recent medical circumstances were making themselves known to me), I do feel more confident in my performance on the test the second time around.

I am preparing to submit my application materials to law schools this weekend. There are some scholarships I am applying for an the deadline for them is January 31st. They require that the general law school application be submitted by then as well in order to be considered for the scholarship. B

y submitting my applications this weekend, I realize that I am taking a bit of a gamble since I will not know my score until January 31st. I can’t help but feel anxious and somewhat concerned. Should I write an addendum explaining the medical circumstances in case the case I receive on January 31st turns out to be unrepresentative of me? What if I write an addendum and the score turns out to be fine? Or what if the score turns out to be acceptable but not the best? Should I write an addendum in anticipation for a circumstance like that?

I truly do not know what to do and I would appreciate any advice and/or insight. Thank you so much.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You have the right idea at the end: prepare the addendum now, but only use if if your score--when released--doesn't meet your expectations.

Yes, it's extra work right now, but this is what lawyers do, they prepare for contingencies :-D

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.