LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 maloneannm
|
So long story short, I have a decent application as far as LSAT and GPA for the local schools I want to apply to, as well as the field I want to go into (3.7, 155-160, and family/immigration law), but I have some character and fitness stuff from college. Nothing on my actual record, just the permanent record at my school. I was also never suspended, put on probation, or expelled, but I stole some stuff from my school's convenience store and I had a case of severe public intoxication. Both occurred during my senior year and I did everything my school asked of me as a consequence (returned stolen items as well as reimbursed the store financially, wrote an apology letter, and I also went to a health class about the dangers of alcohol).

I just don't know how to convey on my application that it was a really bad decision (and just an all-around bad year) that I'll never do it again and that I've grown since then substantially. I've also gotten job and internship opportunities since then that express my passion for law as well as how I can be upstanding and I how I do not want to compromise my education/the potential of my future career. I also just don't know how to gauge how well of an impact it will have on me taking the bar exam in the near future, as I know C&F stuff is a part of that as well. Please help!! I'm really nervous about this and I really don't have the money to hire a C&F lawyer.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi maloneannm,

(Disclaimer - I'm not an expert on admissions and what follows certainly is not legal advice. This is just my personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth.)

On the one hand, public intoxication and theft are definitely potential causes for concern for any law school and need to be addressed. On the other hand, these incidents shouldn't prevent you from attending law school and taking the bar exam, provided that they are fully disclosed and addressed appropriately.

You mentioned that these incidents occurred during your senior year, but you didn't mention how long ago you graduated. The reason that I bring this up is that, generally speaking, the longer ago it happened, the easier it is to argue that you've matured.

Personally, I wouldn't think that you would need to hire a lawyer in this situation (although you should get a second opinion on this from an admissions expert), however, I would strongly recommend that you hire a qualified law school admissions consultant. They have experience with exactly this sort of issue and can advise you on how best to explain what happened (and how you've learned/matured) to law schools. They may also suggest that you take additional steps to really show how much you've changed/matured beyond what you've done so far. It's one thing to say that you've really changed and matured, but it is quite another to really demonstrate it.

PowerScore offers admissions consulting services, including by the hour.

Here's a link for more information.

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/law-sch ... s/packages

Whether you use PowerScore or another reputable admissions consulting services, given your tricky situation and the importance of it being handled correctly, an hour or two of admissions consulting would be money well spent.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.